Laboratory Services Team Leader
|Job Title||Laboratory Services Team Leader|
|Post Type||Full time/ Permanent|
|Salary information||Circa £34k.|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located on the Harwell Science & Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire a 20 minute drive south of Oxford in a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, Diamond Light Source conducts world-class research in virtually all fields of science and offers rewarding career opportunities covering both technical and scientific disciplines.
We are seeking to recruit an experienced Laboratory Services Coordinator to manage a small team of Laboratory Technicians and to support and coordinate the Physical and Life Sciences laboratories based upon experimental, equipment and spatial requirements, liaising with management, laboratory personnel and the safety team.
In addition this position will manage and coordinate the Off-line use of the laboratory facilities by external users, liaising with various teams within Diamond and also on the RAL site.
Successful candidates will have previous experience in supervising or managing laboratories. You will be expected to organise a team of technicians to operate a variety of laboratory equipment and train/support users where required. Familiarity of the use and disposal of hazardous chemicals and gases in accordance with C.O.S.H.H and experience of risk assessments and safety legislation applicable to laboratory environments is essential.
The use and maintenance of a range of laboratory equipment such as spectrophotometers, glove boxes, microscopes, fume cupboards/Biosafety cabinets etc. is essential.
You should be highly motivated and able to work under your own initiative. Good communication skills and experience of working in a multi-discipline environment with scientists are essential.
Manage the Laboratory Services team in order to provide a broad range of scientific support for instrumentation, safety and user programmes within all laboratories including the provision of offline laboratory access facilities.
Ensure all activities are undertaken in compliance with relevant Company and statutory requirements.
- Line management of Physical and Life Science Laboratory Instrumentation Technicians. Development and coordination of the team to provide a broad range of scientific support across all laboratories;
- Manage and coordinate the Off-line Laboratory Equipment Process, liaising between Diamond staff and Users. Ensuring that users are inducted and trained in the appropriate requirements including safety. Maintain records of all successful applications (Users, experiments, samples etc.) for future analysis. Manage and maintain the equipment database;
- Co-ordination of Physical and Life Science laboratories, based upon experimental requirements (such as use of Fume Cupboards, glove-boxes etc.), equipment requirements and spatial requirements;
- Supervise the use of laboratory equipment, provide assistance and training, monitor and maintain records where required for all Physical and Life Science laboratories;
- Monitor, maintain records (where required) and ensure the correct storage of chemicals, waste and other specialist materials in accordance with C.O.S.H.H within the Physical and Life Science Laboratories;
- Monitor compliance by all users, of safety procedures and practices throughout the laboratories in adherence with relevant company and statutory H&S and other guidelines. Work with the laboratory personnel to develop safety policies and approach, for these areas;
- Carry out regular inspections of the Physical and Life Science laboratories reporting any concerns regarding safety, operation or performance to relevant parties, liaising with relevant parties/groups to ensure faults etc. are rectified;
- Management of budgets as assigned;
- To undertake other duties of a similar nature including working flexibly with other employees as required.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- General safety qualification i.e. NEBOSHH, IOSHH etc;
- Appropriate First Degree (ideally Biology/Chemistry based);
- Significant relevant work experience working in laboratory environments;
- Proven experience in most of the following areas: handling of hazardous chemicals, specialist gases, protein purification, use of spectrophotometers, HPLC, chromatography (gas and liquid) equipment, fume hoods, glove boxes, microscopes etc;
- Familiarity of maintaining stock and resource levels, cleaning and maintenance of laboratory equipment. Calibration and testing of equipment;
- Experience of working in a multi-disciplinary environment, with visitors and scientists;
- Familiarity of HSE legislation, risk assessments and COSHH. Working with portable gas supplies;
- Ability to interact with people at all levels;
- Supervisory - experience of team management / supervision required;
- Ability to work on own initiative;
- Good planning and organising skills;
- Good IT skills – standard MS Office software;
- Ability to carry out a range of tasks in chemical & biological laboratories;
- Some travel will be required for training purposes.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Higher (MSc, PhD) degree, equivalent qualification or experience;
- Project Management.
Must be able to travel occasionally within the UK and abroad, including overnight absences.
Previous applicants need not re-apply.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com