Data Analysis Scientist
|Job Title||Data Analysis Scientist|
|Post Type||Full time / 1 year Fixed Term Contract|
|Salary information||Circa £33k|
|Date of interviews||09/04/2015|
The UK’s national synchrotron science facility, Diamond Light Source, conducts world-class research in virtually all fields of science. Located 20 minutes from Oxford, it sits in a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and offers rewarding career opportunities.
We are looking for a high calibre software scientist to join our dynamic scientific software group to work on visualization and analysis of tomography data. The team have the responsibility for the provision of advanced data evaluation, analysis and visualization software applications for both internal and external users of Diamond. These applications exploit the very latest techniques to address the challenging requirements of a broad range of scientific disciplines including macromolecular crystallography through to nanostructures and materials science.
You will operate within the scientific software group of experienced software scientists and engineers and will work with our beamline scientists to identify and define requirements for data analysis and visualization applications you will ensure that they are implemented in a timely and effective way. Working with our data acquisition team you will help optimize the whole scientific process at a Diamond beamline from data acquisition through to the experimenters leaving with high quality experimental results.
The work will also involve enhancing and supporting the core features of a software data analysis workbench (DAWN) project being worked on in Diamond. DAWN is an Open Source project so there will be opportunities to work with collaborators at other similar facilities worldwide.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills;
- Enjoys team work;
- Self motivated, interested in keeping pace with software testing best practises;
- Ability to interact effectively with staff at all levels;
- Experience of modern programming languages such as Java, C, C++ and Python;
- Experience or understanding of synchrotron experimentation and data interpretation of imaging or tomographic data;
- Requires practical experience in a professional, scientific or technical field;
- Background in using advanced mathematics and software engineering techniques for application development.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Higher Degree in an appropriate discipline;
- Ability to supervise or mentor small teams of more junior technical or administrative roles;
- Experience of data management, describing data and exploiting databases for scientific work;
- Experience of software development frameworks and applications such as Eclipse;
- Project management experience.
Available to travel occasionally in UK and overseas including overnight absences.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com