Beamline / Senior Beamline Scientist, I09
|Job Title||Beamline / Senior Beamline Scientist, I09|
|Post Type||Full time / permanent|
|Salary information||Circa £30k & Circa £40k for appointment at the senior level|
The UK’s national synchrotron science facility, Diamond Light Source, conducts world-class research in virtually all fields of science. Located 20 minutes from Oxford, it sits in a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and offers rewarding career opportunities.
Operational since June 2013, I09 is an undulator beamline that provides both soft and hard x-rays for investigating atomic and electronic structures of a wide variety of surfaces and interfaces using various techniques such as photoelectron spectroscopy (PES), ), x-ray standing waves (XSW), near edge x-ray absorption fine structure (NEXAFS) and photoelectron diffraction (PhD).
A permanent beamline scientist/senior beamline scientist position is currently available at I09. This post will involve the research utilizing combination of the above x-ray techniques to characterise, for example, interactions of molecules with metal/semiconductor surfaces, ionic liquids, and two-dimensional systems such as graphene and molybdenum disulphide, with emphasis on the interplay between surface structures and chemical/electronic properties. The scientist is expected to contribute to the technical development of the beamline and the associated laboratories, to provide user support, and to carry out synchrotron as well as off-line research in areas relevant to the beamline. The candidate should have a Ph.D. degree in physics, chemistry or related fields. Experience in synchrotron surface science research is highly desirable.
To support the Principal Beamline Scientist in the operation and development of the beamline
Working in support of the Principal Beamline Scientist in the following areas:
- Assist in the technical development of the beamline and support laboratories, including specification, design, procurement, testing, installation, commissioning and maintenance.
- Local contact support to users by setting up, and by providing advice and guidance on, the best approach to experiments, data analysis and research techniques.
- Carry out own research in areas relevant to the beamline and disseminate through publications and presentations.
Additional duties for appointment at the senior level:
- To lead the design, procurement, testing, installation and commissioning of particular significant items for the beamline or instrumentation which would enhance or improve its capability;
- Develop own research/technical expertise to become internationally recognised through publications and presentations of own work in areas relevant to the beamline;
- Enhance the operation of the facility by collaboration and dissemination of specialist knowledge with the other Diamond staff and users.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Ph.D. degree in physics, chemistry, or related fields;
- Relevant surface science research experience;
- Experience of X-ray measurement using synchrotrons;
- Knowledge and experience of photoelectron spectroscopy/x-ray standing waves/NEXAFS/photoelectron diffraction;
- Experience/knowledge of UHV techniques;
- Demonstrated ability to develop a research program and successful scientific publication record;
- Data analysis and programming skills.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Ability to manage a small team and supervise PhD students and PDRAs;
- Experience of user support;
- Experience of end-station design and instrumentation (essential for appointment at the higher level).
- Project management experience (essential for appointment at the higher level).
- Knowledge of beamline instrumentation (essential for appointment at the higher level).
- Must be available to travel occasionally in UK and overseas including overnight absences.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org