Head of Insertion Devices Group
|Job Title||Head of Insertion Devices Group|
|Post Type||Full time / Permanent|
|Salary information||Competitive, depending on experience|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located at Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire, Diamond enables world-leading research across a wide range of scientific disciplines and industrial applications
The Diamond facility is based on a 562 m circumference, low emittance, 3 GeV storage ring currently containing 26 individual insertion devices of various types. Diamond is seeking a Head of Insertion Device Group to manage the activities of this key group within the Diamond Technical Division.
Reporting to the Technical Director the key duties of the post are as follows:
- Responsible for detailed design, specification, procurement, installation, operation, maintenance and future development of insertion devices (IDs) for Diamond, including the connecting vessels, stands and chicane magnets in the ID straights;
- Manage an Insertion Device Group to carry out the above, including ID magnetic and mechanical design, assembly and magnetic measurement, and project manage support from other groups (Controls, Engineering, Survey, Vacuum etc.) as required;
- Liaise with Science Division scientists regarding the selection of parameters of future devices, providing performance information and assessing as-built performance;
- Manage the associated budgets and planning aspects;
- Manage the Insertion Device assembly and test laboratory;
- Provide training for the Operating Team and others in the use of the insertion devices;
- Manage a QA system for insertion device production;
- Keep up-to-date with world-wide developments in insertion devices, and be proactive in ensuring Diamond IDs are state-of-the-art;
- Ensure that all work carried out on insertion devices, in the ID assembly and test laboratory and storage ring, is performed safely, with appropriate documentation (Risk Assessments and Method Statements);
- Comply with, and where appropriate develop, the Diamond Health and Safety procedures and policies;
- Conform with all other generic duties of a Group Leader.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Qualified to degree (preferably PhD) level in an appropriate branch of physics or engineering;
- Practical experience of as many of the following as possible: design & construction of permanent magnet systems, design & construction of electromagnetic systems for accelerators, superconducting magnets, magnetic field calculations, magnetic measurements and analysis, calculation of radiation emitted by insertion devices, operation of cryogenic systems
- Understanding of as many of the following as possible; physics and engineering of accelerator magnet systems and insertion devices, basic operation of accelerators and the influence of insertion devices on an electron beam, properties of the radiation emitted by insertion devices
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and written;
- Ability to solve technical problems, evaluating alternative courses of action and innovating where necessary;
- Experience of line management, project management and planning, safety management and QA systems.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Able to work flexibly if required, with occasional out-of hours and week-end work, in support of accelerator operation or to meet deadlines;
- Available to travel occasionally within the UK and abroad, including overnight absences.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com