|Job Title||Software Engineer|
|Post Type||Permanent/ Full time|
|Salary information||circa £33K|
The UK's national synchrotron science facility, Diamond Light Source, conducts world class research in virtually all fields of science. Located 20 minutes from Oxford, it sits in a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and offers rewarding career opportunities.
The data acquisition software used in Diamond is the internally developed Generic Data Acquisition (GDA) project (www.opengda.org). GDA is written in Java and consists of GUI written using the Eclipse RCP framework, a Jython scripting backend and hardware interface components.
A software engineer is required to join the Data Acquisition team to develop software for the beamlines at Diamond.
As Software Engineer your primary role will be to work with the other members of the team to enhance the GDA on experimental beamlines to improve usability, performance and functionality. You will work closely with the beamline scientific staff to formulate requirements and plan delivery.
The software will not only automate the data acquisition but will also connect to external analysis tools to aid further automation. There will therefore be an interaction with the members of the Scientific Computing team.
The work will also involve enhancing and supporting the core features of the GDA project along with rest of the Data Acquisition team. As GDA is Open Source there may be opportunities to work with collaborators on other similar facilities in the world.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Skilled in developing Java GUI applications in either Eclipse RCP or Swing;
- Experience of Python or Jython;
- Experience in working in a software development team using Agile development techniques;
- Experience of full software lifecycle support;
- Degree or equivalent science qualification;
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills;
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
- Ability to work on own initiative and take personal responsibility for delivery of timely, quality work packages;
- Experienced professional with significant post-qualification experience in technical software engineering;
- Experience of UNIX-like operating systems and their administration;
- Experience of interfacing software to hardware;
- Significant relevant experience of Java or C++.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Graphics programming toolkits;
- Experience in managing significant projects, co-ordinating internal/external resources and managing associated budgets;
- PhD in Science.
Available to travel occasionally in UK and overseas including overnight absences.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com