PDRA -crystallography software methods development
|Job Title||PDRA -crystallography software methods development|
|Post Type||3 Year/Full time Contract|
We require a post-doc with experience in crystallography and a proven experience of software development, to work with the data analysis group, beamline scientists, scientific directors and appropriate theorists to establish software requirements for scientific data reduction and analysis in the area of crystallography and then to ensure that they are implemented and published in a timely manner.
- Participate in the in-house research programme in crystallography software methods development including the analysis and publication of the results;
- Use scientific and technical knowledge to understand and implement data analysis and mathematical software.
- Testing and commissioning of a range of algorithms, software, data handling and methods to establish best practice and results;
- Work closely with acquisition colleagues to enable the integration of analysis software into the data acquisition process where appropriate.
- Support of relevant research projects of the users, who will come from a diverse scientific background;
- Presentation of the in-house research, beamline developments and scientific papers at meetings and conferences;
- Implement appropriate software testing regimes as part of the development process.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Appropriate first degree;
- Experience or understanding of synchrotron experimentation and data interpretation of diffraction and crystallography;
- Experience of modern programming languages such as Java, C, C++ and Python;
- Higher Degree in an appropriate discipline;
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills;
- Enjoys team work;
- Self motivated, interested in keeping pace with software testing best practises;
- Ability to interact effectively with staff at all levels;
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Use of software development frameworks and applications such as Eclipse;
- Background in using advanced mathematics and software engineering techniques for application development;
- Requires significant practical experience in a professional, scientific or technical field;
- Project management experience;
- Available to travel occasionally in UK and overseas including overnight absences;
- Ability to supervise or mentor small teams of more junior technical or administrative roles.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com