- General Rules
- Risk Assessment
- Alcohol and Drugs
- Personnel Safety System
Diamond is committed to injury and ill-health prevention, minimisation of pollution and resource usage and promotion of positive mental and physical wellbeing. These rules have been developed with a view to providing a safe, healthy and environmentally sound workplace.
The rules should be read together with Diamond’s Safety, Health and Environmental Policy.
The rules apply to all Diamond Users and persons working with us, for us, or on our behalf in any capacity, including Diamond Employees, joint appointees, seconded workers, collaborators, members of our advisory groups/committees, members of our peer review panels, students, volunteers, interns, agents, contractors (specifically including suppliers and casual and agency staff), external consultants and third-party representatives (“you”).
Definitions of certain terms used in these rules are included in Diamond’s Safety, Health and Environmental Policy.
2. General Rules
• Adhere to all relevant SHE rules, training, instructions, codes, procedures, handbooks etc. brought to your attention;
• Only use facilities, equipment, materials and substances that you are authorised, competent and trained to use;
• Give due care to your own health and safety and the health and safety of other persons affected by your work;
• Successfully complete and work to the Diamond SHE induction and any required local inductions (such as beamline or laboratory inductions);
• Report to Diamond any SHE incidents or concerns that you witness at Diamond;
• Obey all alarms and safety or emergency instructions given by Diamond;
• Not carry out hazardous work when tired (this includes Personnel Safety System (PSS) hutch searches, using liquid nitrogen, chemicals/gases, lasers, pressure systems, etc.);
• Obey all internal and external signs, notices, speed limits, parking restrictions and adhere to the Highway Code whilst on the Diamond site;
• Not use offensive or aggressive language or behaviour whilst using the Diamond Facilities; and
• Keep your work area and the Diamond Facilities safe and tidy at all times.
• Only carry out work authorised by Diamond;
• Ensure that you have the necessary approval from your home institution/organisation to participate in activities at Diamond; and
• Only use Diamond equipment and materials when specifically authorised by Diamond.
• Ensure safe and compliant packaging and transportation of the samples, materials or equipment which you bring onto and off the Diamond site;
• Show due care and attention when using Diamond Facilities or equipment and use such Diamond Facilities or equipment in accordance with instructions and/or training;
• Not interfere with equipment provided for health and safety purposes;
• Ensure that any equipment you bring onto the Diamond site is safe to use and compliant with the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations (PUWER) and other relevant standards such as CE marking and any associated requirements;
• Ensure that any electrical equipment has undergone valid safety testing before being brought to Diamond;
• Ensure all pressurised equipment brought to the Diamond site complies with the Pressure Systems Safety Regulations (PSSR) and where required have a valid written scheme of examination, inspection and testing records as appropriate to the equipment type;
• Only bring equipment (outside of that specified on an Experimental Risk Assessment / Peripheral Laboratory Hazard Declaration form) to the Diamond site after obtaining written permission from Diamond;
• Report any defects or damage to Diamond equipment immediately to appropriate Diamond persons; and
• On completion of an experiment, remove all samples connected to your work from the Diamond site, unless specifically agreed otherwise with Diamond.
5. Risk Assessment
• Accurately declare all samples, materials, substances, agents and equipment (on the relevant Experimental Risk Assessment or Peripheral Laboratory Hazard Declaration form) intended to be brought to Diamond at least three weeks before the session/visit;
• Safety control the risks that your materials, samples, equipment and processes introduce to Diamond; and
• Comply with the controls identified in the risk assessment for your work at Diamond.
• Dispose of all waste via the designated routes and as instructed by Diamond;
• Not bring any waste to the Diamond site for disposal; and
• Minimise the emissions of any environmental pollutants such as solvents etc.
• Comply with Diamond’s access and security instructions and show due regard for the security of the Diamond site and Diamond’s assets;
• Only enter areas permitted by your security pass and not access unauthorised areas;
• Not allow others the use of your security pass;
• Not allow entry of others to any area on site where they are not permitted;
• Not remove any property from Diamond without written permission from Diamond; and
• Unless otherwise agreed with Diamond, not bring visitors or persons aged 16 or under onto the Diamond site.
8. Alcohol and Drugs
• Not come onto the Diamond site under the influence of alcohol or drugs which may make you unfit to work or adversely affect safety performance; and
• Not bring or consume on the Diamond site any alcohol or drugs which may make you unfit to work or adversely affect safety performance.
10. Personnel Safety System (PSS)
• Not carry out a PSS search without having undergone the required training;
• Not carry out a PSS search with someone else’s pass; and
• Not loan someone else your pass to carry out a PSS search.