The successful exploitation of the intense, brilliant and coherent light from Diamond will depend to a significant extent on the quality and performance of the monochromators, mirrors and detectors to be employed in the beamlines. The Optics and Metrology Group supports various beamlines in a number of areas including optical beamline design, acceptance and measurement of beamline optics, development and characterisation of specialised optics etc. B16, a Test beamline on a bending magnet of Diamond and a metrology laboratory are part of this Group. Main activities of the O&M Group are:
- Support beamline scientists in optical design of beamlines.
- Support beamline scientists in specifying beamline optics.
- Design, construct, commission and operate B16 Test beamline. The beamline will be used for the characterisation of optics, detectors and other instrumentation, and for the development of novel techniques.
- Setup and operate a metrology laboratory for testing of beamline optics. The laboratory will house state of the art optical metrology equipment like phase measuring interferometer, long trace profilometer, AFM etc.
- Carry out research and development in X-ray optics.