|Job Title||Beamline Scientist / Senior Beamline Scientist, Beamline I13|
|Post Type||Full time / Permanent|
|Salary information||Circa £33k or circa £42k for appointment at the senior level|
|Date of interviews||10/09/2012|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located at Harwell Science & Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire, we enable world-leading research across a wide range of scientific disciplines and industrial applications.
Beamline I13 is one of the latest beamlines, dedicated to imaging and coherence and has been operational since October 2011. The scientific applications for the two independently operating beamline branches relate to imaging in real (X-ray microscopy; absorption, phase contrast and ultrafast tomography) and reciprocal space (coherent X-ray diffraction imaging).
This post will be centred on the Diamond - Manchester imaging branchline, applying it to study micro- and nano-structured materials from different scientific fields such as biology, materials and earth science in the energy range of 6-30keV. The project is unique in many aspects. The 250m long beamline provides space in large hutches for advanced experimental methods, new electron optics (mini-beta) and X-ray optics have been developed along the project. Additionally as part of the I13 beamline team, the successful candidate will be expected to contribute to the coherence beamline as well.
Manchester University are co-funders of the beamline and this appointment. Manchester have co-located academics and PDRA’s both at Diamond and at their co-located X-ray Facility (MXIF) to stimulate interaction, providing a unique opportunity to undertake long term collaborative work to jointly develop applications, techniques and undertake research projects with academia.
We require a Scientist / Senior Scientist with experience in synchrotron based imaging and tomography. Candidates with experience in neighbouring fields such as electron microscopy, neutron imaging or similar are welcome. The successful candidate will be involved in promoting the beamline’s scientific profile. You will be highly motivated, able to work independently with experience of managing staff.
For appointment at the senior level, you will have significant synchrotron imaging experience.
Working in support of the Principal Beamline Scientist in the following areas:
- Design, procurement, testing, installation, assembly, and maintenance of a range of equipment and systems on the beamline, support laboratories and environmental stages, including testing and commissioning;
- Procurement of straightforward beamline components;
- Liaise with the suppliers of the beamline components;
- Local contact support to users by setting up and providing advice and guidance on the best approach to experiments, data analysis and research techniques once beamline operational;
- Interact closely with the team from the University of Manchester;
- Carry out own research in an area relevant to the beamline and disseminate through publications and presentations;
- Assist in the development of a new item of equipment or system on the beamline, including testing and commissioning.
Additional duties for appointment at the senior level:
- To lead the design, procurement, testing, installation and commissioning of particular significant items for the beamline or instrumentation which would enhance or improve its capability;
- Procurement of significant beamline components;
- Develop own research/technical expertise to become internationally recognised through publications and presentations of own work (and collaborations) in an area relevant to beamline;
- Enhance the operation of the facility by collaboration and dissemination of specialist knowledge with the other Diamond staff and users and, in particular, the University of Manchester.
Qualifications and Experience: Essential
- Appropriate first degree or equivalent qualification;
- Second degree in appropriate subject;
- Relevant synchrotron research experience;
- Experience or knowledge of synchrotrons;
- Experience of beamline instrumentation;
- Notions about coherence, microscopy, imaging or tomography;
- Experience of software packages and programming;
- Project management experience;
- Successful scientific publication record;
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills;
- Ability to interact effectively with staff at all levels;
- Ability to work flexibly with occasional weekend and out-of hours working;
- Self motivated;
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team;
- Must be available to travel occasionally in UK and overseas locations including overnight absences;
For appointment at the senior level, candidates will have significant expertise of synchrotron imaging.
Qualifications and Experience: Desirable
- Experience of beamline design and construction or commissioning, or experience from relevant fields such as laser physics or electron microscopy;
- Experience in imaging/tomography data analysis, including reconstruction techniques;
- Experience in specialist techniques such as phase contrast imaging or XANES tomography;
- Experience of managing a beamline for users;
- Ability to manage a small team;
- Project management experience.
For further information about this role please visit:
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.