|Job Title||Mechanical Project Engineer|
|Salary information||Circa £35k (depending on skills, qualifications and relevant experience)|
|Date of interviews||TBC|
Diamond Light Source is a new synchrotron and a leading scientific facility of its type in the world. Located on the Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in South Oxfordshire, we host facilities supporting cutting edge research in all fields of science.
To provide professional mechanical engineering support in carrying out projects related to the technical systems of the Diamond facility.
- Interact closely with in-house and external scientific and engineering staff in support of Diamond accelerator, insertion device, front end and beamline projects as assigned;
- Provide creative, innovative and adaptive solutions to problems involved with the mechanical engineering systems and provide professional input to the mechanical design, manufacture, installation, testing and commissioning phases;
- Produce design calculations to predict performance of designs prior to manufacture and where necessary perform or supervise FEA on critical areas;
- Produce layouts and design concepts, ideally employing AutoCAD;
- Negotiate, agree and write technical specifications, produce and monitor project management plans including Gantt charts, resource and procurement plans;
- Make presentations of project status and technical issues at project meetings;
- Contribute to hazard analysis and risk assessment exercises;
- Work within DLS procedures and contribute to their development;
- Supervise internal and contract staff;
- Keep up to date with relevant technology and industry best practice;
- Maintain and Manage project files containing all relevant project documentation.
Qualifications and Experience: Essential
- Honours degree or equivalent in relevant discipline;
- Some practical background in mechanical engineering and relevant experience;
- Some appreciation of at least one mechanical CAD system and an FEA package;
- Very good working knowledge of engineering drawings;
- Ability to provide ideas and creative solutions to design problems
- Lead projects completing specifications and managing time, cost and quality
- Demonstrate self-motivation;
- Demonstrate ability and initiative to get to the heart of a problem and take it through to completion;
- Demonstrate good oral and written communication skills with management, peers, subordinates, customers and suppliers;
- Competent in the use of computers and Word, Excel, Power Point, MSProject;
- Must be available to travel on work related business with some overnight stays occasionally.
Qualifications and Experience: Desirable
- Masters, PhD or equivalent in relevant discipline;
- Demonstrate ability to lead, motivate and manage internal and contract staff;
- Experience of fabrication and manufacturing techniques;
- Competence in the selection of materials;
- Experience of supervision;
- Experience of working within a QA system;
- Experience in ultra high vacuum technology;
- Experience of heat transfer calculations and design;
- Experience in precision mechanism design;
- Experience in motion control systems;
- Experience with cryogenic and other pressure systems;
- Competence in AutoCAD or Pro-Engineer;
- Experience of working in a team and presenting ideas and solutions to customers;
- Experience in the specification, procurement, installation and commissioning of engineering systems;
- Good appreciation of project management;
- Engineering Council registration and membership of relevant professional body;
- Driving Licence.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.