|Job Title||Java Web Application Developer|
|Post Type||Full Time/ Fixed Term 3 years|
|Salary information||Circa £33k|
|Date of interviews||TBC|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located at Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire, we enable world-leading research across a wide range of scientific disciplines and industrial applications.
An experienced Java Web Applications Programmer with Eclipse is required to complement our data acquisition team to take a leading role in the development of the Laboratory Information System ISPyB; an open source web based information management system for structural biologists.
The successful candidate will work on development of a new web application interface to ISPyB as well as contributing to the extension of the applications functionality.
Working in the Data Acquisition and Scientific Computing Groups in collaboration with scientists from life sciences in the following areas:
- Development of a new set of WebPages to interface to the ISPyB database;
- Sample experiments database development and administration. In addition to extending the scope of the ISPyB LIMS, strong links to other laboratory information systems will be built on. In the first instance data transfer protocols and links will be established with PIMS and xtalPIMS (Protein Information Management System with the ultimate aim of providing generic exchange of information between LIMS in use for synchrotron scientists;
- Enhancement of sample management workflows within the Generic Data Acquisition software to facilitate automation, scientific interpretation and utilisation of external software for the analysis of data being collected on Diamond Beamlines under the control of the GDA;
- Supporting operations of the MX beamlines in particular with respect to the accountabilities mentioned above.
Qualifications and Experience: Essential
- First degree or equivalent qualification or experience;
- Use of software development frameworks and applications, particularly Eclipse;
- Experience Java programmer, including knowledge of Servlet, Hibernate, HTML5 and web services;
- Experience of integrating and using database systems as part of software workflows
- Experience with Windows/ Linux/Unix;
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills;
- Ability to interact effectively with staff at all levels;
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team;
- Self motivation.
Qualifications and Experience: Desirable
• Ability to supervise or mentor small teams of more junior technical or administrative roles;
• Practical experience in a professional, scientific or technical field;
• Project management experience.
Must be available to travel occasionally within the UK and abroad, including overnight absences.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.