|Job Title||Postdoctoral Research Associate, Beamline I09|
|Post Type||Full time, 6 month fixed term|
|Salary information||Circa £33k|
|Date of interviews||04/05/2012|
Diamond Light Source is a synchrotron light source and a leading scientific facility of its type in the world. Located on the Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in South Oxfordshire, we host research facilities supporting cutting edge research in all fields of science.
The PDRA will be responsible for testing an x-ray photoelectron diffraction program on a DLS computer cluster, demonstrating to the I09 staff members how to use the program, and recommending future changes to the program for improvement.
Working with the DLS Scientific Software Team and the I09 staff members in the following areas:
- Testing a Fortran program for x-ray photoelectron diffraction analysis (developed in Prof. Phil Woodruff’s group at the University of Warwick) on a DLS computer cluster;
- assisting the Scientific Software Team in completing the installation of the program;
- demonstration of the program to the I09 staff members;
- writing an instruction for the users of the program, including a brief description of the structure of the program;
- specifying a user interface for the program;
- identifying any other improvement of the program that can be incorporated in the future.
Qualifications and Experience: Essential
- Appropriate first degree;
- Experience or knowledge of x-ray photoelectron diffraction;
- Experience or knowledge of analyzing core-level photoemission and x-ray photoelectron diffraction data;
- Experience with Windows/Linux/Unix;
- Experience of programming, especially Python, and Fortran;
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills;
- Good organisational and planning skills;
- Ability to interact effectively with staff at all levels;
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team;
- Self motivation.
Qualifications and Experience: Desirable
- Experience or knowledge of Surface Science Techniques
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.