|Job Title||Financial Systems Accountant|
|Post Type||Full Time/ Permanent|
|Division||Finance and Admin|
|Salary information||Circa £43K|
|Application deadline||Open Vacancy|
|Date of interviews||TBC|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located at Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire, we enable world-leading research across a wide range of scientific disciplines and industrial applications.
We need an individual to help us to manage our existing finance and procurement systems and to lead the process of renewal to ensure that they meet our future needs. If you are a CCAB qualified accountant, experienced in the specification selection, and implementation of advanced accounting and procurement systems we can offer you a challenging and interesting role at one of the pre-eminent scientific facilities of its type in the world. You will be able to demonstrate project management and team leadership skills and advanced capability in the use of MS Office and other IT tools. You will also have strategic vision tempered by a pragmatic perspective and strong communication skills, being able to present options and recommendations to Senior Finance Management and the Executive Board whilst also being able to effectively communicate and train staff, both financial and non financial, at all levels.
- To investigate and define Diamond’s Statement of Requirements for Future Finance Systems (including appropriate interfaces with procurement) and to present options and recommendations to Senior Finance Management, and the Executive Board on potential solutions.
- To help select the most appropriate solution and then to manage the project for the development and implementation of the new systems, including negotiations with suppliers, collaboration with Diamond managers and coordinating or leading the activities of finance and other staff allocated to the project
- To be responsible for the integrity of all financial data and the resilience of all financial systems, including fault diagnosis and resolution.
- As system manager, to be responsible for the operation, maintenance & development of the financial accounting system and the finance related aspects of other integrated IT based accounting solutions, and any successor systems.
- Work closely with the Financial Accountant to prepare monthly management accounts, and submit them to the Finance Manager as a reviewed final draft. Particular responsibilities in this area are data extraction and reporting.
- To be responsible for reviewing, redesigning, developing, maintaining & operating the systems used for the preparation & consolidation of budgets and long range plans. To be responsible for accurately updating all Diamond reporting with the approved final version of the budget.
- To lead the process for defining the detailed requirement for and then delivering a fully functional, robust and supportable Fixed Asset Register.
- To provide support and training on the DLS financial reporting systems to finance staff, budget holders and to other staff across Diamond as appropriate.
- To review/maintain/ update the financial website
Qualifications and Experience: Essential
- Ability to identify and analyse business needs in the context of financial/procurement systems.
- Ability to review current systems, processes and methods of reporting through constructive challenge, and to identify and implement improvements.
- Be capable of sustaining and, where appropriate, developing legacy systems.
- Professional attention to appropriate accounting standards focused on the self review of own work to identify errors and correct them, and with meticulous attention to detail.
- Ability to project manage financial system developments to agreed timescales, budgets and specifications.
- Knowledge of UK and International accounting principles and their applications to both statutory and management accounts.
- Managing operational systems to ensure timely, complete and accurate processing of data and reporting of information.
- System Administration and management including experience of being a ‘super-user’, interfacing with systems providers to resolve issues.
- Experience of specifying requirements for, assessing and selecting financial/procurement systems.
- Experience of designing processes and workflows for new finance/procurement systems.
- Clear understanding of business governance and control processes.
- Experience of testing new systems to ensure accuracy, completeness of data, simplicity of use and that the system or system improvement is fit for purpose
- Documenting systems and processes and of designing and delivering training to staff (finance & others).
- Experience in the designing, development, maintenance and operation of systems for the preparation & consolidation of budgets and long range plans
- Experience of Project Managing the customisation and implementation of the new finance/procurement systems
Qualifications and Experience: Desirable
- Strategic vision but with a pragmatic perspective when planning system and reporting developments for current and future needs.
- Knowledge of available (packaged) solutions and their key features for the following applications:
- Financial accounting systems
- Order processing systems
- Electronic fixed asset accounting systems
- Database tools
- Reporting tools
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.