|Job Title||Senior Scientific Programmer|
|Post Type||Full Time/4 Year Fixed Term|
|Salary information||Circa £36k|
|Date of interviews||TBC|
Diamond Light Source is a new synchrotron and a leading scientific facility of its type in the world. Located on the Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in South Oxfordshire, we host facilities supporting cutting edge research in all fields of science.
We are looking for a highly motivated senior scientific programmer with proven experience in delivering software for biological crystallographer end-users. We are developing, in collaboration with other UK and EU groups, data integration software compatible with the most advanced Synchrotron and FEL X-ray diffraction measurement methods in structural biology. You will be responsible for local co-ordination of the development at Diamond and delivery of the final software product within defined timescales. You will be expected to work effectively with other programmers at Diamond and in collaboration with developers at other sites to co-ordinate delivery of key packages of work.
- Development of scientific software for the BioStruct-X Data Analysis work package. Will include development installation, testing (in collaboration with the software users) and support on the Diamond MX beamlines.
- Plan and coordinate delivery of the BioStruct- X Data Analysis project with an aim to deliver the project on time and within specification.
- Lead the day to day development of the software at Diamond in close collaboration with CCP4 and other developers in the Diamond Data Analysis team.
- Author and contribute to scientific papers arising from the developments.
- Produce reports and documentation (e.g manuals) in association with the Project Leader.
- Project Manage the delivery of the required outputs, including preparation of project, budget, resource and procurement plans.
- If required, lead a small team, providing direction, support and motivation, taking resposibility for escalated issues and provision of a high quality service/output.
- Contribute to the development of new systems and approaches through identification of possible improvements and structured recommendations to management.
- Deliver high quality reporting and professional advice, presenting findings to senior management and guiding future approach.
- Organise and chair technical meetings to ensure the project is delivered on time and to specification.
Qualifications and Experience: Essential
- Good working knowledge of scientific programming at a high standard
- Experience of organising and/or contributing in a major way to a successful scientific software project
- Good interpersonal, communication, organizational and presentaional skills
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion
- Ability to work as part of a multi- disciplinary team
- Self motivation
- Experience in advanced prgramming techniques (OO, C++, Python)
- Appropriate degree or equivalent qualification or experience
Qualifications and Experience: Desirable
- Ability to work flexibly with occasional weekend and out-of-office hours
- Knowledge of software engineering good practice
- Experience with crystallographic software libraries ( Clipper, CCTBX etc)
- Experience in providing expert support to end users
- Experience in use of framework development environment (e.g. Eclipse/ RCP)
- Experience in use of collaborative tools (software repositories, bug tracking)
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.