|Job Title||Beamline Scientist, Beamline B24|
|Post Type||Full Time / Permanent|
|Salary information||Circa £33k|
|Application deadline||Open Vacancy|
|Date of interviews||TBC|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located at Harwell Science & Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire, we enable world-leading research across a wide range of scientific disciplines and industrial applications.
We require an experienced scientist to join the soft X-ray cryo transmission X-ray microscope (cryo-TXM) for biology beamline B24, a beamline currently in the design phase. Beamline B24 is a full field cryo X-ray microscopy beamline covering the energy range 200eV -2.5 keV dedicated to the collection of tomographic data on biological samples. It is due to start operations in 2014.
Candidates should have appropriate qualifications and relevant experience of synchrotron X-ray beamlines. You will play a leading role in the design, construction, installation, commissioning and operation of the beamline working closely with the both the beamline technical team and future beamline users. Experience of synchrotron radiation research is strongly preferred with experience of soft X-ray microscopy being highly desirable. Candidates with an appreciation of the impact soft X-ray microscopy could have in the area of structural biology are strongly encouraged to apply.
To support the Principal Beamline Scientist in the design, construction, installation, commissioning and operation and of the beamline.
Working in support of the Principal Beamline Scientist in the following areas:
- Detailed design and specification of beamline components as required,
- Assist in the procurement of beamline components and liaise with the suppliers of the beamline components,
- Installation, assembly, commissioning, operation and maintenance of beamline components,
- Commissioning of the integrated beamline ready for user operation in 2014,
- Carry out own research in an area relevant to the beamline,
- Assist in the development of a new techniques associated with the beamline and its science.
Qualifications and Experience: Essential
- Appropriate first degree or equivalent qualification,
- Second degree in appropriate subject,
- Relevant synchrotron research experience,
- Experience of X-ray measurement using synchrotrons,
- Knowledge of beamline instrumentation,
- Successful scientific publication record,
- Good communication & interpersonal skills,
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion,
- Excellent observational skills,
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills,
- Ability to interact effectively with staff at all levels,
- Self motivated,
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team,
- Must be available to travel occasionally in UK and overseas including overnight absences.
Qualifications and Experience: Desirable
- Experience in X-ray microscopy,
- Experience of research in the biological sciences,
- Ability to manage a small team,
- Programming skills in Python and Java,
- Project management experience.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.