|Job Title||Mechanical Design Engineer|
|Post Type||Full time/ Permanent|
|Salary information||Circa £33k (depending on skills, qualifications and relevant experience)|
|Date of interviews||TBC|
- Work closely with internal & external scientific and engineering staff to produce mechanical designs for projects.
- Develop and apply expertise in technologies including ultra high vacuum systems, stable support structures, precision mechanisms, cryogenics and the general design of scientific equipment and plant.
- Produce concept designs, layouts, assembly drawings and detailed manufacturing drawings employing AutoCAD and Pro-Engineer software.
- Carry out calculations and FEA as competence and supervision allow.
- Procurement of equipment through commercial suppliers.
- Supervision of internal and contract design staff and control of quality.
- Contribute to hazard analysis and risk assessment exercises.
- Maintain and update engineering drawings and documentation on projects.
- Work within DLS procedures and contribute to their development.
Qualifications and Experience: Essential
- Ability to provide ideas and creative solutions to design problems
- Excellent working knowledge of 3D CAD system with significant hands on experience.
- Demonstrate self-motivation.
- Demonstrate ability and initiative to get to the heart of a problem and take it efficiently through to completion.
- Demonstrate good oral and written communication skills with peers, subordinates, customers and suppliers.
- Excellent working knowledge of engineering drawings including symbols for geometric tolerancing, surface finish and welding.
- Experience of working in a team, discussing work with other team members and presenting ideas and solutions to engineers or customers.
- Design experience of mechanical joining: brazing, welding, bonding.
- Experience of manufacturing techniques: milling, turning, casting, forging etc.
- Experience in the selection of materials and processes for design solutions.
- HNC or equivalent in relevant discipline
- Must be available to travel on work related business with some overnight stays occasionally.
- Light manual tasks may be involved during commissioning.
Qualifications and Experience: Desirable
- Demonstrate ability to lead, motivate and manage internal and contract staff.
- Background in the use of computers and data handling including Microsoft office systems, Word, excel, power point, publisher, Microsoft project and MathCad.
- Good working knowledge of Pro/Engineer CAD system
- Good working knowledge of PDM-Link
- Good working knowledge of AutoCAD
- Some appreciation of an FEA package.
- Experience of supervising design office work.
- Experience of working within a QA system.
- Good appreciation of project management
- Experience in vacuum technology.
- Experience in mechanism design.
- Experience in mechanical design of optical systems.
- Experience with motion control systems
- Experience of overseeing manufacture, assembly, testing and commissioning of systems.
- Degree or equivalent in relevant discipline
- Technical Apprenticeship
- Engineering Council registration and membership of relevant professional body
- Driving Licence
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.