Environment, energy & waste
Diamond Light Source considers the effective management of its environmental aspects including energy usage to be an important corporate responsibility and as such is committed to the continual improvement of its environmental performance and the minimisation of its impact.
- We will continually seek to reduce energy consumption and improve energy efficiency.
- We are committed to minimising and segregating waste. The company will reuse and recycle waste wherever practical.
- We aim to minimise the use of consumable materials and unnecessary replacement of equipment where possible.
- We will consider the potential environmental impact, especially with regard to energy efficiency, of any new development.
Staff safety, health & welfare
- Strong commitment to safety for staff, users and visitors
- Commitment to equal opportunities and family-friendly policies
- Trade Union recognition
- Open and inclusive communications including events, intranet, updates, etc
More on staff benefits
Training, education & development
- Apprentice scheme with Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
- Supervision of collaborative projects by university students
- Short term student work experience placements
Community links & public engagement
- Links with local and community groups and hosting visits
- Give as You Earn scheme for staff supporting charities
- Public Open Days, educational projects and science events
- Our staff frequently present their science at events and in the media
- Partnerships with other facilities locally, nationally and globally
More on public engagement