Data Analysis Scientist
|Job Title||Data Analysis Scientist|
|Post Type||Full time / Permanent|
|Salary information||£32,805 to £38,593 (Discretionary range to £44,382)|
Diamond Light Source collects Terabytes of X-Ray Tomography data on a daily basis and to manage the required data processing Diamond has created the Savu software pipeline. We are looking for a tomography and image processing specialist to join our dynamic scientific software group to develop the Savu pipeline with state of the art methodologies to improve the tomographic process at Diamond.
You will work as part of a small team, within the scientific software group of experienced software scientists and engineers and will work with our scientists to identify and define requirements for data analysis applications which you will ensure are implemented in a timely and effective way.
The work may also involve directly supporting the end users of the Savu application while processing complicated data. As Savu is an Open Source project there will be opportunities to work with collaborators at other similar facilities worldwide.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills;
- Enjoys team work;
- Self motivated, interested in keeping pace with software testing best practises;
- Ability to interact effectively with staff at all levels;
- Detailed understanding of Python and its use in Savu;
- Experience or understanding of synchrotron experimentation and interpretation of imaging data;
- Requires practical experience in a professional, scientific or technical field;
- Background in using advanced mathematics and software engineering techniques for application development.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Experience of modern programming languages such as Java, C and C++;
- Ability to supervise or mentor small teams of more junior technical or administrative roles;
- Available to travel occasionally in UK and overseas including overnight absences;
- Higher Degree in an appropriate discipline;
- Experience of data management, describing data and exploiting databases for scientific work;
- Experience of software development frameworks and applications such as Eclipse;
- Project management experience.
Information on the Data Analyis Group Software
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com