Post Doctoral Research Associate (Crystallography Software Methods Development)
|Job Title||Post Doctoral Research Associate (Crystallography Software Methods Development)|
|Post Type||Full time / 3 year Fixed Term Contract|
|Salary information||£32,805 to £38,593 (Discretionary range to £44,382)|
Diamond Light Source operates one of only a handful of dedicated X-ray diffraction beamlines for chemical crystallography in the world . The principal focus of the beamline is to acquire data from crystal samples where in-house collection is impossible, for example due to sample size, quality or sample environment requirements, with science areas ranging from high throughput crystal structure determination to materials research including hydrogen storage.
We are looking for an enthusiastic methods developer to join the DIALS team  at Diamond Light Source, to develop new algorithms for data processing with a particular focus on the most challenging samples brought to our dedicated chemical crystallography beamline, I19. You will work closely with beamline staff, users and developers to identify improvements to the existing algorithms implemented in the open source DIALS package demonstrate and ultimately publish the new algorithms in crystallographic journals.
The DIALS team at Diamond Light Source is well established, with an existing group of highly motivated developers working on all elements of data processing for X-ray diffraction. The post offers an opportunity to work on methods development at the boundary between academic research and a major scientific facility, where modern open source software development techniques are used.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Appropriate first degree, PhD;
- Higher Degree in an appropriate discipline;
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills;
- Enjoys team work;
- Self motivated, interested in keeping pace with software testing best practises;
- Ability to interact effectively with staff at all levels;
- Experience or understanding of synchrotron experimentation and data interpretation of diffraction and crystallography;
- Experience of modern programming languages such as C++ and Python.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Ability to supervise or mentor small teams of more junior technical or administrative roles;
- Background in using advanced mathematics and software engineering techniques for application development;
- Requires significant practical experience in a professional, scientific or technical field;
- Project management experience;
- Available to travel occasionally in UK and overseas including overnight absences.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com