|Job Title||Mechanical Technician|
|Post Type||Full time, permanent|
|Salary information||£25,499 to £29,999 (Discretionary range to £34, 499)|
|Date of interviews||05/12/2017|
We require an experienced Mechanical Technician to work on the I15-1 beamline. The position will initially involve supporting the Diamond Scientists during installation and commissioning. When this has been concluded you will maintain the equipment and work with the scientists in designing and installing new components and helping users to carry out their experiments. The ideal candidate will have good workshop skills, ideally with some machining (milling / turning) experience (but not essential) and experience of working with delicate state-of-the art pieces of equipment. You should have an ONC / GNVQ level 2 or equivalent.
During installation and commissioning
- Installation and commissioning of specialist beamline equipment including:
- Ultra High Vacuum optical components such as monochromators, mirrors, gratings;
- Vacuum equipment including pumps, gauges, controllers etc;
- Detectors including vacuum detectors;
- Diffractometer / goniometer (sample orientation equipment);
- Experimental chambers that provide high/ low temperature and or high/low pressure or high magnetic field environments for sample testing;
- General laboratory work, including designing and building simple mechanical devices.
- Maintaining and upgrading existing beamline equipment;
- Assisting in installation and commissioning of further specialist beamline equipment;
- Assisting users.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- ONC or GNVQ level 2 (Applicants with equivalent work experience will also be considered);
- Demonstrable proven technical experience;
- Significant relevant work experience;
- Proven work experience in vacuum,
- You should have proven experience in at least one of the following areas: cryogenics, high temperatures, magnetic fields and/or high pressures, ultra high vacuum, specialist gases, cooling water;
- Ability to understand and interpret mechanical drawings;
- Ability to carry out a variety of light mechanical and electrical assembly tasks, including soldering;
- Ability to use standard electronic measurement instruments;
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
- Good planning and organising skills;
- Good communication skills, verbal and written;
- Ability to interact with people at all levels;
- Effective team player.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Able to produce simple engineering drawings;
- Experience with chilled water, compressed air, domestic water;
- Experiences of using cranes and slings etc, for heavy lifting;
- Familiarity with using quality assurance procedures, work planning and safe systems of work;
- Good IT skills - standard MS Office software;
- Candidates must be available to work flexibly during commissioning and later operations when there will be periods of intense activity to meet deadlines.
- Some travel may be required, usually within the UK and with occasional overnight stays.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org