|Job Title||Software Engineer|
|Post Type||Full time / Permanent|
|Salary information||£32,805 to £38,593 (Discretionary range to £44,382)|
|Date of interviews|
Support and enhance software for Data Acquisition on Diamond MX beamlines. Work with beamline scientists and users of Diamond to understand their requirements; implement new functionality, and enhance and streamline existing functionality. Be actively involved in the development of the core GDA framework.
Duties / Responsibilities
- Develop, test, maintain and support GDA software for MX beamlines, in collaboration with beamline staff, other members of the MX GDA development team, the Data Acquisition team, and the Scientific Software team;
- Enhance the core GDA framework to make it robust, adaptable, and easy to use by developers;
- Provide a technical advisory/support function to other departments;
- Use technical and professional knowledge to identify opportunities for technical or process improvement;
- Undertake research or development work within parameters determined by more senior roles, and with regular review of progress;
- Maintain responsibility for the management and coordination of own workload, and ensure outputs are delivered on time and to high quality.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- First degree in Computer Science, Engineering or Science;
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills;
- Conscientious and pays attention to details;
- Ability to interact effectively with staff at all levels;
- Self motivated;
- Must be available to travel occasionally in UK and overseas including overnight absences;
- Ability to work on own initiative and take personal responsibility for delivery of work packages;
- Experienced professional with significant post-qualification experience in technical software engineering;
- Significant relevant experience of Java and Python, or possibly C# or C++;
- Excellent technical/theoretical understanding of methods, systems and approaches relating to technical software engineering e.g. Source Control, Code Review, Continuous Integration;
- Experience of UNIX-like operating systems and their administration.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- PhD in science;
- Skilled in developing Server and/or Client applications (especially in Eclipse’s RCP Java UI framework);
- Experience in managing projects;
- Experience of interfacing software to hardware.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com