Research Technician for the Membrane Protein Laboratory (MPL) at Diamond Light Source and RCAH in Oxfordshire.
|Job Title||Research Technician for the Membrane Protein Laboratory (MPL) at Diamond Light Source and RCAH in Oxfordshire.|
|Post Type||Full time / 4 year Fixed Term Contract|
|Salary information||£25,247 to £29,702 (Discretionary range to £34,157)|
|Date of interviews|
Applications are invited for a full-time Research Technician position at the Membrane Protein Laboratory (MPL) located at the Diamond Light Source and at the Research Complex (Oxfordshire).
The MPL is Wellcome Trust funded facility created to allow scientists to determine medically relevant membrane protein structures more efficiently by combining recently developed high throughput technologies for protein production, crystallization, XFEL and EM. The MPL is located in laboratories around the ring at Diamond and also at the Research Complex at Harwell and equipped with state-of-the-art equipment.
The successful applicant will report directly to Dr Isabel Moraes, the MPL Group Leader. In the group he/she would assist in all aspects of the lab work, in particular repair and maintenance of crystallisation robots, assisting with training users in crystallisation with robots; production and crystallisation of membrane proteins. The technician will also be responsible for the general running of the laboratory, including placing orders, maintaining stocks of chemicals, preparing solutions, maintaining all the equipment and general laboratory maintenance. The applicant will also have a role in maintaining safety standards and documentation and have excellent communication skills.
Informal enquiries may be made to Dr Isabel Moraes, the MPL group leader (Isabel.email@example.com).
Responsible for the MPL equipment, user support and lab administrative duties:
Responsibilities / duties
- General laboratory administrative duties including ordering and maintaining stock of routine supplies;
- Responsible for the H&S of the laboratory and ensuring good laboratory practice is in place;
- Ensure that all the MPL equipment in the labs (at Diamond and RCaH) is maintained and repaired;
- Assisting to teach others to use the robots, both visitors from external labs and members of the lab and other Diamond staff;
- Perform crystallization experiments and screen the results, both using the robots and manually;
- Participation in local laboratory meetings;
- Provide technical and research support to the MPL external users and lab members;
- Documentation and analysis of experimental data;
- Assist with presentation of results to users and internal researchers;
- To undertake any necessary training;
- Any other duties commensurate with the grade of this post as directed by the line manager / supervisor.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- A BSc in Biochemistry/Biology or equivalent vocational qualification or relevant laboratory based experience;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Methodical approach to work;
- Close attention to detail;
- Good interpersonal and organisational skills;
- Ability to work with limited supervision and keep meticulous records;
- Ability to prioritise own work in response to deadlines;
- Ability to work as part of a team;
- Experience in laboratory-based research;
- Practical experience with protein purification;
- Computer literacy using Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Experience in some or all of the following techniques: - Protein expression - Cell Culture - Mutagenesis and cloning techniques;
- Flexible approach to working hours according to the requirements of the technical procedures;
- Willingness to assist in contributing to reports and preparation of results for publication.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org