Nano Metrology Specialist
|Job Title||Nano Metrology Specialist|
|Post Type||Full Time / Permanent|
|Salary information||£32,805 to £38,593 (Discretionary range to £44,382)|
|Date of interviews|
We are eager for a skilled specialist to join our team, and work in the Optics & Metrology laboratories. The successful candidate will operate a world-class, nano-instrumentation laboratory and associated metrology instruments. They will work in collaboration with scientists and technicians at Diamond to acceptance test, align and optimise a wide range of ultra-precision mechanical and computer controlled components, including motorised linear and rotation stages.
- Operate computer controlled metrology instruments to characterise the linear, angular and vibrational behaviour of ultra-precision, motorised stages. This includes interferometers, contact probes, capacitive sensors, autocollimators, inclinometers, and autolevels;
- Develop and maintain expertise in nano-positioning and metrology instruments, and use this to provide state-of-the-art solutions for Diamond’s beamlines;
- Plan and implement measurement strategies to acquire metrology data, analyse it, and present this information in a meaningful way to technical staff;
- Liaise with scientists, engineers and manufacturers to specify and procure micro- and nano positioning stages. Represent Diamond at acceptance tests at manufacturer’s premises;
- Develop environmental controls to monitor and minimise a range of disturbances including temperature, airflows and vibrations, necessary to investigate nanotechnology;
- If required, supervise and co-ordinate a small team of junior technical staff to ensure outputs are delivered on time and to a high quality;
- Contribute to scientific publications in the field of nano-metrology as part of in-house research.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Appropriate University degree, or equivalent qualification and experience;
- Significant experience in the use of nano-positioning stages or metrology instruments;
- Technical aptitude and adaptability to operate a variety of computer controlled instruments;
- Demonstrable programming skills using Labview, Python, Matlab, C++, etc.;
- Efficient time management and scheduling skills; and ability to prioritise;
- Ability to analyse and communicate complex information to technical and non-technical audiences via reports and presentations;
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills;
- Contribute to a multi-disciplinary team, and interact with staff and facility users at all levels;
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
- Must be able to work flexibly with occasional weekend or out of hours working and to travel occasionally within the UK and abroad, including overnight absences.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com