DIA0522/LV - Head of Safety, Health and Environment (SHE) Group
|Job Title||Head of Safety, Health and Environment (SHE) Group|
|Salary information||Competitive salary|
|Date of interviews|
Diamond Light Source is a new synchrotron and a leading scientific facility of its type in the world. Located on the Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in
The role is responsible for leading the SHE Group, co-ordinating and integrating its operations with other Groups across the company. The role provides the technical lead for the SHE area of expertise, developing policy and approach. The role holder leads on the development and implementation of new systems, approaches and tools to achieve the purpose of the SHE Group.
- Provide the lead in the development of policy and approach for the Group, managing its integration and co-ordination with other Groups across the company;
- Responsible for the development of capability within the team and for the overall effectiveness of the Group;
- Plan and oversee the design, procurement, installation, and testing of operations relevant to the SHE area and co-ordinating its implementation;
- Take a leading responsibility for adherence to Health & Safety policies and compliance with legislation and in managing external audits and reviews;
- Take a leading responsibility for the development of Environmental policies and practices to both comply with legislation and demonstrate best practice;
- Lead in the development of new systems and approaches within the SHE Group’s area of expertise, keeping abreast of best practice and technical developments outside the organisation;
- Take responsibility for monitoring and reporting of Group progress, providing in-depth papers and presentations to Directors and external audiences;
- Chair committees and meetings relevant to the Group;
- Promote the organisation externally through the promotion and development of professional profile and best practice and representing the company to external agencies;
- Provide specialist advice and guidance to the Directors and the company within area of expertise;
- Keep the CEO informed on legal requirements & changes and likely impact on the company;
- Manage contact with the HSE and other SHE enforcement authorities.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Degree, ideally in Science or Technical Subject;
- CMIOSH or Equivalent;
- Proven safety management and budgetary skills in a Science or Technical environment;
- Experience of working with enforcement agencies;
- Experience of implementing the following: Fire and Safety Legislation, Biological Safety requirements, Laser Safety requirements and Construction Safety requirements.
Proven ability to:
- Provide advice in complex technical situations;
- Communicate effectively e.g. highly qualified scientific and engineering staff;
- Negotiate effectively e.g. with enforcing Authorities such as HSE;
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Biological Safety Qualification;
- Laser Safety Qualification;
- Fire Safety Qualification;
- Dangerous Goods Safety Qualification;
- Management Qualification;
- Experience of implementing the following: security issues requirements and experience of radiological protection and legislation.
- Proven IT skills;
- Working knowledge of Counter Terrorism Legislation requirements in a working environment.
Typical Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Deep technical professional with extensive experience in field of expertise;
- Experience in leading the development of SHE policy;
- Experience in leading and developing large-scale work or change programmes;
- Experience in managing teams with an ability to select and develop highly qualified individuals;
- Ability to influence and negotiate at the highest level both internally and externally;
- Ability to identify and drive technical and professional developments within a SHE area of expertise;
- Excellent understanding of the external environment and awareness of best practice/new technologies within the field of expertise.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com