DIA0504/SB - Software Engineer/ Scientist, Macromolecular Crystallography (MX)
|Job Title||Software Engineer/ Scientist, Macromolecular Crystallography (MX)|
|Salary information||Circa £32k (based on experience and qualifications; a higher salary is available for an exceptionally experienced and qualified candidate)|
|Date of interviews||//|
Diamond Light Source is a new synchrotron and a leading scientific facility of its type in the world. Located on the Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in South Oxfordshire, we host research facilities supporting cutting edge research in all fields of science.
To support and enhance software for Data Acquisition on MX beamlines.
The role holder will work with the beamline scientists and users of the Macromolecular Crystallography (MX) beamlines at Diamond to examine their user operation and establish methods by which this could be enhanced and streamlined. They would be actively involved in scripting, GUI development and the optimization of the acquisition and analysis of MX data.
- Sharing the first line support of the software for MX;
- Working with the beamline scientists and the data analysis team to define requirements for the optimization of Data Acquisition on MX;
- Writing and implementation of software on MX beamlines under the mentoring of more senior group members;
- Writing scripting software for the control of instrumentation associated with MX;
- Core GDA code development;
- Collation and subsequent analysis of MX data;
- Delivers specialised work either as part of a project team or a specialist department to support broader departmental goals;
- Use technical or professional knowledge to identify opportunities for technical or process improvement;
- Undertake research or development work within parameters determined by more senior roles, and with regular review of progress;
- Provide a technical advisory/support function within area of expertise to other departments or division;
- Maintain responsibility for the management and co-ordination of own workload and ensure outputs delivered on time and to high quality.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Appropriate first degree or equivalent qualification; Second degree in a scientific discipline preferred;
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills;
- Good team working skills;
- Self motivated, interested in keeping pace with software testing best practises;
- Ability to interact effectively with staff at all levels;
- Experience of UNIX-like operating systems and their administration;
- Experience of modern programming languages such as Java, C, C++ and Python;
- MX data collection and processing in a synchrotron.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Ability to supervise or mentor small teams of more junior technical or administrative roles;
- Available to travel occasionally in UK and overseas including overnight absences;
- Experience of interfacing software to hardware;
- Use of software development frameworks and applications such as Eclipse;
- Background in using software engineering techniques for development;
- Significant practical experience in a professional, scientific or technical field;
- Project management experience
Available to travel occasionally in UK and overseas including overnight absences.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com