DIA0498/TH - Software Systems Engineer or Senior Software Systems Engineer, Photon Beamlines
|Job Title||Software Systems Engineer or Senior Software Systems Engineer, Photon Beamlines|
|Salary information||£27,000 - £48,000. Depending on skills, qualifications and experience.|
|Date of interviews||//|
Diamond Light Source is a new synchrotron and a leading scientific facility of its type in the world. Located on the Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in South Oxfordshire, we host research facilities supporting cutting edge research in all fields of science.
Photon beamlines are required to deliver ultra stable x-ray beams from the Diamond storage ring to the experimental samples. They require extensive control of x-ray optical components and other instrumentation to control the photon beam profile and position.
Control systems for the photon beamlines are realised as a distributed, heterogeneous computing environment, using embedded systems running the VxWorks operating system for direct control of the x-ray optical components and other instrumentation, together with Linux workstations for the operator interfaces. Most of the VxWorks applications are coded in C or built using the EPICS control system toolkit, and the Linux applications use a combination of C, Java and scripting languages.
As a Software Systems Engineer working on the photon beamlines your task will be to work closely with a team of scientists and engineers to specify and develop software to deliver ultra stable x-ray beams from the Diamond storage ring to the experimental sample.
The design,development, commissioning and operational support of controls systems to support the design, development and operation of the accelerators and/or beamlines on the Diamond Synchrotron Light source.
- Design and develop the Control System of one or more photon beamlines;
- Commission and diagnose faults in installed Control Systems;
- Provide operational support and analysis of installed Control Systems;
- Interface with internal customers, including Engineers and Scientists, at all stages of the development life cycle to, for example, develop requirements, track project progress, and verify operation of Control Systems;
- Contribute to the processes and associated software development to support the design of Control Systems throughout Diamond;
- Report on progress in all areas on a periodic basis;
- Support of contractors and suppliers of turn key Control Systems;
- Maintain and develop technical expertise in software development;
- Maintain a current knowledge of the Control Systems on other, comparable, beamline and accelerator projects.
- Liaise with, and supervise, contractors and suppliers of turn key Control Systems;
- Provide technical expertise in software development and skill in software design for real-time embedded applications;
- Project planning and coordination of projects relating to Control Systems for photon beamlines;
- Maintain a current knowledge of the Control Systems on other, comparable, beamline and accelerator projects;
- Communicate details of Control System developments within Diamond and to other projects;
- Mentor and train more junior engineers as required.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Knowledge and experience of VME or embedded systems;
- Knowledge and experience of Linux on PC’s;
- Knowledge and experience with Scripting Languages;
- Knowledge of Motion control;
- Knowledge of networking;
- Knowledge of VxWorks;
- Knowledge and experience in programming in Java;
- Demonstrate an understanding of staff supervision;
- Demonstrate an understanding of project planning and management.
- Be willing to work overtime at unsociable hours as required;
- Be willing to travel in the UK and abroad, including occasional periods away from home;
- Be prepared to undertake further training;
- Ability to work in restricted or confined spaces.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org