DIA0485/SB - Electronics Engineer
|Job Title||Electronics Engineer|
|Salary information||Circa £33k (depending on skills, qualifications and previous experience).|
|Date of interviews||//|
Diamond Light Source is a new synchrotron and a leading scientific facility of its type in the world. Located on the Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in South Oxfordshire, we host research facilities supporting cutting edge research in all fields of science.
To assist the Detector Group in the installation and commissioning of detectors and associated electronics for synchrotron X-ray experiments. Design and development of detector and diagnostic electronics.
- Design and prototyping of analogue and digital electronic interfaces for detectors;
- Testing and benchmarking of commercial analogue preamplifiers, amplifiers, signal converters and systems;
- Involvement in assembly for detector electronics including rack based systems such as NIM and VME;
- Help in the installation of beamline detector and diagnostic systems;
- General laboratory work for commissioning which includes some electrical cabling, building of simple mechanical devices and detailed commissioning of electronics;
- Development of equipment, upgrading existing beamline detector and diagnostics based equipment;
- Assisting in installation and commissioning of further specialist diagnostics and detector equipment;
- Responsibility of small specific projects in the detector development programme of Diamond, which may involve collaboration with scientists from STFC and elsewhere.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Appropriate degree or equivalent qualification or experience;
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills;
- Ability to interact effectively with staff at all levels;
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team;
- Self motivated; Experience in electronics and instrumentation design and development;
- Experience in electronics systems commissioning and fault finding;
- Circuit board building and testing, soldering and use of test equipment (DMM oscilloscopes etc.);
- Computer literate – Microsoft Office.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Working experience at synchrotrons;
- Professional Institute Membership;
- CAD software, schematic capture and layout – Allegro;
- Experience with Linux and a programming language, (e.g C++, Java).
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com