DIA0457/SB – Beamline Support Scientist - Nanoscience I06
|Job Title||Beamline Support Scientist - Nanoscience I06|
|Salary information||Circa £26k (depending on previous experience and qualifications).|
|Date of interviews||//|
Diamond Light Source is a new synchrotron and a leading scientific facility of its type in the world. Located on the Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in South Oxfordshire, we will host research facilities supporting cutting edge research in all fields of science.
Beamline I06 is designed to provide high flux beams with tuneable energy and polarisation that are required for PhotoEmission Microscopy (PEEM), X-Ray Magnetic Circular Dichroism (XMCD) and Soft X-ray Resonant Magnetic scattering (SXRMS). I06 provides a unique, world-class PEEM and XMCD facility for studying the magnetic properties of a diverse set of materials. It covers a tuneable energy range with applications in studies of spin, charge and orbital in single crystal and thin film samples, multi layers and semiconductors.
We are seeking self-motivated candidates with experience in Soft X-Ray Beamlines, Lasers, Scanning Tunnelling Microscopy or PEEM.
Beamline Support Scientists will work under the direction of the Principal Beamline Scientists and with other beamline staff in the following areas:
- Procurement, installation and commissioning of beamline components and instrumentation.
- Maintenance of the beamlines during operations.
- Development and testing of new equipment and software.
- Support of users in performing their experiments at Diamond.
- Testing samples sent to Diamond by users.
- Development of new instrumentation to upgrade the performance of the beamlines.
- Support of in-house research programmes.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Experience in the use of scientific instrumentation.
- Experience in scientific data collection.
- Knowledge of synchrotron radiation techniques.
- Experience with Windows/Linux/Unix.
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills.
- Ability to interact with staff and facility users at all levels.
- Ability to work flexibly with occasional weekend and out-of hours working.
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion.
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Self motivation.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Appropriate PhD or equivalent qualification or experience. Experience in laboratory work.
- Experience in a relevant area of science e.g. magnetism, highly correlated systems.
- Experience in programming.
- Must be able to travel occasionally within the UK and abroad, including overnight absences.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com