Head of Power Supplies Group
|Job Title||Head of Power Supplies Group|
|Salary information||Circa £55k|
|Date of interviews|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located at Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire, we enable world-leading research across a wide range of scientific disciplines and industrial applications.
Diamond’s accelerators contain well over 1000 magnet power supplies of various types including DC, cycling and pulsed systems. High stability, reproducibility and reliability are essential for these systems which are critical to the operation of the facility.
As Head of the Power Supply Group you will manage the operation and any future development of Diamond’s magnet power supplies. Reporting to the Technical Director, the duties of the post include the following:
- Responsible for the operation of Diamond’s magnet power supplies.
- Manage the fault analysis and improvement programmes to achieve continuous improvement in operational reliability, taking into account component ageing and obsolescence issues.
- Responsible for any future new power supplies, or power supply developments, including cabling and termination details.
- Responsible for safety aspects related to the operation of the power supply systems, the cabling and magnet loads, including preparing any necessary safety documentation (Risk Assessments, Method Statements etc.).
- Provide training, documentation and support to the Operation Team in the use of the power supplies.
- Organise out of hours support for the operation of the power supplies.
- Contribute to the review and updating of Diamond’s electrical safety procedures.
- Liaise with power supply groups in other synchrotron facilities to establish best practise. Manage a Power Supplies group and its laboratory to support the above activities.
- Manage the associated budgets and planning aspects.
- Comply with, and where appropriate contribute to the development of, Diamond Health and Safety procedures and policies.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Appropriate engineering/physics degree or equivalent qualification.
- Significant experience of the design, construction and operation of highly stable and reliable power supplies of various types: DC, cycling and pulsed, including testing, fault finding and problem solving.
- Ability to lead a group, and encourage teamwork within the Technical Division.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills, with an ability to interact effectively with staff at all levels.
- Self motivated and ability to motivate others.
- Must be willing to work outside normal working hours, including occasional evenings, nights and week-ends as operational needs dictate.
- Must be willing to undertake occasional travel within the UK and overseas, to visit laboratories and companies, attend meetings and conferences etc.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Experience of line management and of running a team.
- Practical experience of operating power supplies in a synchrotron radiation facility.
- Knowledge of EMC standards and testing procedures.
- Knowledge of digital control interfaces.
- Knowledge of future trends in power supply design.
For an informal discussion about the role, please contact Professor Richard Walker on 01235 778484.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com