Beamline Scientist / Senior Beamline Scientist, Beamline I15
|Job Title||Beamline Scientist / Senior Beamline Scientist, BLI15|
|Salary information||Circa £33k or Circa £42k for appointment at the senior level|
|Date of interviews|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located at Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire, we enable world-leading research across a wide range of scientific disciplines and industrial applications.
We require a Beamline Scientist for I15, the Extreme Condition Beamline. I15 is based on a wiggler insertion device which delivers x-rays in the energy range from 20 to 80 keV. Two experimental stations are available to accommodate single-crystal and powder diffraction experiments with diamond-anvil cells at ambient temperature or in various temperature chambers, as well as other ambient pressure related sample environments. Laser heating is under development and large-volume press experiments are planned for the future. A wide range of on- and off-line laser facilities are available to complement the diffraction techniques at high pressure.
Candidates will have the appropriate qualifications and relevant synchrotron research experience. Knowledge of diffraction techniques under extreme pressure conditions and beamline instrumentation are essential for this role. Preference will be given to candidates with laser heating or large-volume press experience.
To support the Principal Beamline Scientist in the operation and development of the beamline.
Working in support of the Principal Beamline Scientist in the following areas:
- The operation and development of the beamline;
- Close interaction with the users;
- Assist users in the analysis of data recorded on the beamline;
- Assist in the procurement of new beamline or off-line components;
- Liaise with the suppliers of the beamline or off-line components;
- Play a full part in the testing or developing beamline or offline related components;
- Carry out own research in an area relevant to the beamline.
Additional duties for appointment at the senior level:
- To lead the design, procurement, testing, installation and commissioning of particular significant items for the beamline or instrumentation which would enhance or improve its capability;
- Develop own research/technical expertise to become internationally recognised through publications and presentations for own work in an area relevant to beamline;
- Enhance the operation of the facility by collaboration and dissemination of specialist knowledge with the other Diamond staff and users.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Appropriate first degree or equivalent qualification;
- Second degree in appropriate subject;
- Relevant synchrotron research experience;
- Experience of diffraction techniques under extreme pressure conditions;
- Knowledge of beamline instrumentation;
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
- Excellent observational skills;
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills;
- Ability to interact effectively with staff at all levels;
- Self motivated;
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team;
- Must be available to travel occasionally in UK and overseas including overnight absences.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Experience in large-volume press experiments;
- Experience in laser heating;
- Experience in XPDF;
- Programming skills in Python and Java;
- Demonstrated ability to develop a research program (Essential for appointment at the senior level);
- Experience of managing a beamline for users (Essential for appointment at the senior level);
- Project management experience (Essential for appointment at the senior level);
- Ability to manage a small team (Essential for appointment at the senior level).
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com