Graduate Software Systems Engineer
|Job Title||Graduate Software Systems Engineer|
|Salary information||Competitive Salary|
|Date of interviews|
Photon beamlines are required to deliver ultra stable x-ray beams from the Diamond storage ring to the experimental samples. They require extensive control of x-ray optical components and other instrumentation to control the photon beam profile and position.
Control systems for the photon beamlines are realised as a distributed, heterogeneous computing environment, using embedded systems for direct control of the x-ray optical components and other instrumentation, together with Linux workstations for the operator interfaces. Most of the embedded applications are coded in C or built using the EPICS control system toolkit, and the Linux applications use a combination of C, Java and scripting languages.
As a Graduate Software Systems Engineer working on the photon beamlines your task will be to work closely with a team of scientists and engineers to specify and develop software to deliver ultra stable x-ray beams from the Diamond storage ring to the experimental sample.
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Work with scientists and engineers on the overall design and specification for the beamline control systems.
• Work as part of a small team to design, implement, test and document control software for the photon beamlines.
• Provide support for the commissioning of photon beamline control systems.
• Provide operational support and maintenance of software for existing systems, including attention and response to fault reports when appropriate.
• Personal training and development.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
• Honours degree in physics, electronic engineering, computer science or equivalent other degree, BTEC HNC/HND plus relevant experience.
• Understanding of software design and/or programming of industrial or scientific systems.
• Knowledge and experience in programming in C or an Object Orientated language
• Demonstrate ability to communicate effectively, both orally and written.
• Ability to solve technical problems, evaluating alternative courses of action and innovating where necessary.
• Demonstrate self-motivation and a willingness to take responsibility.
• Demonstrate ability to work as part of a team.
• Demonstrate ability to work effectively alone and without direct supervision
• Be willing to work overtime at unsociable hours as required.
• Be willing to travel in the UK and abroad, including occasional periods away from home. • Be prepared to undertake further training.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
• Understanding of software in a real time distributed environment.
• Knowledge and experience of developing in a Unix environment
• Knowledge and experience of developing with a source code control and structured release environment.
• Knowledge and experience of embedded systems.
• Knowledge and experience of Linux on PC’s.
• Knowledge of networking protocols
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com