|Job Title||Biology Technician|
|Salary information||Circa £23-26k|
|Date of interviews|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located at Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire, we enable world-leading research across a wide range of scientific disciplines and industrial applications.
The Science Division are seeking to recruit a Biology Technician, to provide general biological laboratory support to Diamond MX and Imperial College Scientists, working in the Research Complex at Harwell, which is located adjacent to Diamond on the Harwell Science and Innovation Campus.
The main duties will be to collect glassware and equipment for cleaning, dealing with biological waste as well as preparation of media solutions and samples as required. In addition you will be expected to provide consumables for the two groups. You should have familiarity of maintaining stock levels and disposal of chemicals in accordance with C.O.S.H.H.
Successful candidates will have experience with the handling of liquid nitrogen, hazardous chemicals and biological agents. Experience in the area of media preparation, protein purification and crystallisation, and the use of a range of equipment such as liquid handling systems, microscopes and autoclaves would be an advantage but is not considered essential. Additional training can be given to the appointed candidate as required.
You should be highly motivated and able to work under your own initiative. Good communication skills are essential and experience of working in a multi-discipline environment with scientists would be an advantage.
There is a strong emphasis on Health and Safety so familiarity of risk assessments and legislation would be desirable but not essential.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Ability to interact with people at all levels;
- Ability to work on own initiative;
- Good planning and organising skills;
- Ability to carry out a range of basic tasks in biological laboratories;
- Ability to operate standard laboratory equipment;
- Good IT skills – standard MS Office software;
- Significant relevant work experience.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Ability to monitor and keep stock records;
- Experience of working in a multi-disciplinary environment, with visitors and scientists;
- Familiarity of biological waste disposal for solid and fluid waste;
- Experience of working with and handling of liquid nitrogen;
- Experience in the following areas: handling of hazardous chemicals, protein purification, media preparation and sample preparation;
- Familiarity of maintaining stock and resource levels, cleaning and maintenance of laboratory equipment;
- Calibration and testing of equipment;
- Familiarity of HSE legislation, risk assessments and COSHH;
- Working with portable gas supplies;
- HNC/ HND or equivalent qualification in appropriate subject;
- Applicants with equivalent work experience will also be considered.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com