Postdoctoral Research Associate (BL I19)
|Job Title||Postdoctoral Research Assistant (BL-I19)|
|Date of interviews|
The position will based on Beamline I19, at Diamond, which has been developed for the investigation of the structural properties of small-molecule materials using single-crystal diffraction techniques. The beamline exploits an intense monochromatic X-ray beam to study small and weakly diffracting crystals, structural studies requiring a change in sample environment (whether this is through pressure, temperature or gas exchange) and for anomalous dispersion studies that makes use of the capability of the beamline to provide tuned photon energies in the range 5-25 keV. The beamline became operational in October 2008.
Suitable candidates should be familiar with the principals of synchrotron x-ray single-crystal diffraction and should have a strong interest in a specific area of materials science, physics, chemistry, earth sciences, engineering and pharmaceuticals. The position will involve some participation in beamline commissioning and development. Experience of single-crystal diffraction instrumentation and methodology, structure solution and refinement would be an advantage.
The selected candidate will participate in individual or collaborative research activities on the beamline and elsewhere, with the specific remit of developing a research theme involving structural changes induced by the variation of pressure, although particularly outstanding candidates with other research interests may be considered. He/She will assist the beamline staff to maintain the beamline including the end station and provide occasional user support. The candidate must be prepared to work flexibly and should be available to carry out occasional out-of-hours duties.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Relevant PhD degree in areas such as Chemistry, Physics or Materials Science;
- Experience or knowledge of small-molecule single crystal x-ray diffraction and data analysis;
- Ability and initiative to undertake a research programme;
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it through to completion;
- Good interpersonal skills;
- Ability to interact effectively with staff at all levels;
- Ability to work as part of a team;
- Good organisational skills;
- Must be available to travel occasionally within the UK and abroad including overnight absences.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Experience of synchrotrons and x-ray beamlines;
- Experience of variable pressure/ temperature studies and use of sample environment cells;
- Experience with Windows/ Linux/ Unix;
- Experience of programming, especially Python and Java;
- A high level of self motivation.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org