Industrial Liaison Scientist - Engineering & Diffraction
|Job Title||Industrial Liaison Scientist - Engineering & Diffraction|
|Salary information||Circa £32k|
|Date of interviews||20/12/2011|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located at Harwell Science & Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire, we enable world-leading research across a wide range of scientific disciplines and industrial applications.
We require a Scientist to join our Industrial Liaison Group to develop and deliver the service offered to industrial users of Diamond in the field of X-ray powder diffraction. You will be involved in the optimisation, operation and marketing of the industrial aspects of relevant beamlines, particularly I11 and I12. As part of a multi disciplinary team you will be based in the Industrial Liaison Group but will also work closely with the beamline teams. Ideally you should have experience of working in a commercial environment.
Duties - To provide a data collection and analysis service for industrial users of X-ray powder diffraction.
Working with the Industrial Liaison Group, I11 and I12 beamline teams to:
- Develop a data collection and analysis service for industrial users of X-ray powder diffraction;
- Run the service taking responsibility for sample management, data collection and reporting to the customers;
- Assist in the commissioning of relevant beamlines alongside other beamline scientists and support staff;
- Assist in the operation of the beamlines for users including carrying out a user support role via the local contact system (specifically for industrial users);
- Assist in the marketing of the service by making presentations at conferences, participating in company visits etc.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Appropriate first degree;
- Relevant PhD degree or equivalent qualification or demonstrable experience;
- Experience in X-ray powder diffraction data collection and analysis;
- Experience or knowledge of synchrotron radiation;
- Experience with Windows/Linux/Unix;
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills;
- Ability to interact with staff and facility users at all levels;
- Ability to work flexibly with occasional weekend and out-of hours working;
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team;
- Must be able to travel occasionally within the UK and abroad, including overnight absences.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Experience in using X-ray powder diffraction synchrotron beamlines;
- Experience in data collection and analysis for X-ray tomography;
- Experience of working in a commercial environment.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org