Motion Systems Engineer or Motion Systems Graduate Engineer
|Job Title||Motion Systems Engineer or Motion Systems Graduate Engineer|
|Salary information||Circa £35k|
|Date of interviews|
Photon beamlines and experimental stations have a large number of precision motor drive stages. These are used to control the position of mechanical and optical components including sample stages, slits, and mirrors. A wide variety of motors are used to meet the loads presented, which include open- and closed-loop stepper systems and servos. These are used together with encoders and intelligent motion controllers to realise the required functionality. The motors are controlled by a distributed control system which interface to the experimental and data acquisition programs. The Control Systems Group is responsible for the design, implementation and subsequent maintenance of the overall system together with the hardware components that make up the system.
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Support operational motion systems
• Support users on motion system requirements
• Commission and diagnose new motion control systems
• Characterise motion control systems to establish the required performance
• Designing and implementing logic in motion controllers or PLCs to ensure the correct operation of motion systems
• Development of kinematic transforms for motion
• Support of contractors and suppliers of equipment with motion systems.
• Contribute to the processes and associated development to support the design of motion systems throughout Diamond.
• Report on progress in all areas on a periodic basis.
• Maintain and develop technical expertise in motion systems.
• Interface to internal customers including Engineers and Scientists in Diamond
Qualification & Experience - Essential
• Degree level qualification in Mechatronics, Electrical or Electronic Engineering or related discipline.
• Relevant experience at Band 5 or new graduate at Band 6. Experience in relevant role with industrial or scientific control systems.
• Experience with Stepper, Servo drives and encoders.
• Experience of commissioning and fault finding electronic systems
• Experience in testing, fault finding and calibration of electronic modules.
• Knowledge of communication protocols, such as RS232/422/485 and experience in fault finding.
• Experience in managing outside contracts.
• An understanding of logic, PLC operation and programming.
• Demonstrate ability to communicate effectively, both orally and written.
• Ability to solve technical problems, evaluating alternative courses of action and innovating where necessary.
• Demonstrate self-motivation and a willingness to take responsibility.
• Demonstrate ability to work as part of a team.
• Demonstrate ability to work effectively alone and without direct supervision
• Be willing to work occasional shifts or overtime.
• Be prepared to undertake further training.
• Ability to work in restricted or confined spaces
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
• Experience of PID control loops
• An appreciation of the parameters affecting choice and operation of different drives
• An understanding of basis kinematic transforms
• Demonstrate an understanding of staff supervision.
• Demonstrate an understanding of project planning and management
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org