|Job Title||Beamline Scientist, Beamline I18|
|Salary information||Circa £34k|
|Date of interviews|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located at Harwell Science & Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire, we enable world-leading research across a wide range of scientific disciplines and industrial applications.
We require an experienced scientist to join the Microfocus Spectroscopy Beamline, BLI18. Candidates should have appropriate qualifications and experience of X-ray measurement using synchrotrons. You will play a leading role in the design and operation of the beamline working closely with the beamline users. Experience of synchrotron radiation research is preferred, experience of X-ray detector analysis is desirable.
Beamline I18 is a microfocus spectroscopy beamline covering the energy range 2 -20.5 keV with a minimum spot size below 2 microns. The principal experimental techniques used on the beamline are X-ray fluorescence mapping, X-ray absorption spectroscopy using solid state Ge and Si drifts detectors and to a lesser extent transmission X-ray diffraction using a ccd. There is a well-equipped characterisation laboratory for complementary techniques such as micro-RAMAN.
The beamline has an active user community covering many scientific disciplines ranging from bio-medical imaging to the study of extra-planetary matter. We would particularly welcome applicants with a background in the physical sciences.
To support the Principal Beamline Scientist on the operation and development of the beamline:
Working in support of the Principal Beamline Scientist in the following areas:
- Support the operation of the beamline and interact closely with the users of this facility,
- Play a full part in the testing and development of the beamline,
- Carry out own research in an area relevant to the beamline,
- Show users how to use programmes to analyse data recorded on the beamline,
- Assist in the procurement of new beamline components,
- Liaise with the suppliers of the beamline components.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Appropriate first degree or equivalent qualification,
- Second degree in appropriate subject,
- Relevant synchrotron research experience,
- Experience of X-ray measurement using synchrotrons,
- Successful scientific publication record,
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion,
- Excellent observational skills,
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills,
- Ability to interact effectively with staff and users at all levels,
- Self motivated,
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team,
- Must be available to travel occasionally in UK and overseas including overnight absences.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Experience of X-ray absorption spectroscopy analysis,
- Experienced in XRD analysis,
- Programming skills in Python and Java,
- Project management experience,
- Experience of ultra-high vacuum instrumentation,
- Ability to manage a small team,
- Good communication skills.
Must be available to travel occasionally in UK and overseas including overnight absences.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org