Postdoctoral Research Associate, MX Beamline I24
|Job Title||Postdoctoral Research Associate, Beamline I24|
|Salary information||Circa £33k|
|Date of interviews|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located at Harwell Science & Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire, we enable world-leading research across a wide range of scientific disciplines and industrial applications.
We are looking for a highly motivated and experienced crystallographer at the Post Doctoral Research Associate level to join the I24 microfocus beamline within the Macromolecular Crystallography village at Diamond. I24 is a multi-wavelength (0.5 1.9 Å) insertion device beamline dedicated to macromolecular crystallography (MX) and complements the other four operating MX beamlines at Diamond. I24 provides a high flux (1012 ph/s), versatile X-ray beam (5 - 50 µm) for the most demanding of structural biology problems. A state-of-the-art bespoke end-station, a 25Hz Pilatus 6M hybrid pixel array detector and a CATS robot for automated sample handling provide the possibility of both 100K and room temperature data collection. I24 offers users the option of in situ (crystallization plate) data collection and crystal characterization.
Research will be focused on developing X-ray tomographic methods for microcrystallography and investigations into very high frame rate crystallography.
Develop methods and software related to the measurement and analysis of crystallographic data for MX with a particular emphasis on X-ray microtomography, microcrystallography and high frame-rate data collection. Provide technical and scientific support to the operational MX beamlines and user programme to ensure effective use of Diamond facilities by all users. Assist in developing I24 and other MX beamline capabilities in collaboration with MX staff.
- Work closely with I24 Group Leader, beamline team and technical staff to develop new methods of data measurement and analysis;
- Conduct scientific research and development into crystallographic methods under the guidance of the Principal Beamline Scientist;
- Publish and present research at conferences both in UK and abroad;
- Support users by providing advice and guidance on the best approach to experiments, data analysis and research techniques;
- Supervision of some more junior internal or external staff/contractors.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- PhD or equivalent degree in relevant research area;
- Proven ability in macromolecular crystallography;
- Experience in macromolecular crystallography data collection and data analysis;
- Experience in the preparation of protein crystal samples;
- Experience with Windows/ Linux/Unix;
- Proven ability to plan and carry out a research project;
- Good interpersonal, communication, organizational and presentational skills;
- Ability to interact with staff and facility users at all levels;
- Ability to work on own initiative and take personal responsibility for delivery of work;
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team;
- Ability to work flexibly with occasional weekend and out-of hours.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Experience of instrument development and deployment;
- Experience in scientific programming;
- Experience in using synchrotron beamlines,
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org