Web Software Developer
|Job Title||Web Software Developer|
|Salary information||Circa £26k for appointment at graduate level. Circa £32k for appointment at senior level.|
|Date of interviews|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located at Harwell Science & Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire, we enable world-leading research across a wide range of scientific disciplines and industrial applications.
With the expansion of our online presence and migration to an in-house CMS (Magnolia), we need an efficient, creative and resourceful Developer to enhance the accessibility and functionality of our digital communications. We are seeking an expert software, web and digital media applications specialist to provide front-line technical support for Diamond’s web sites, content management systems and MS CRM system.
You should have a relevant degree or equivalent and extensive knowledge of (X)HTML, CSS and XML, C#, Java, JSP, PHP or ASP, Sql / Oracle databases, and experience of working in an integrated development environment e.g. ECLIPSE. Some experience of Flash desirable.
Accountabilities for graduate and senior level:
Provide front-line technical support for Diamond’s external website and customer relationship management system.
- Working with the web and information manager to extend the functionality of the Content Management System and explore new opportunities in providing online content such as blogging tools, video, audio and interactive applications;
- Supporting Diamond’s websites, developing new templates ensuring adherence to accessibility guidelines and Diamond’s corporate branding;
- Responding immediately to any problems that arise, liaising with in-house technical support and being the main point of contact with Magnolia technical support;
- Assisting web and information manager with requirements gathering and analysing / prioritising requirements;
- Providing technical advice on latest technology and tools for developing Diamond’s online presence and proposing solutions to any issues identified;
- Integrating tools such as an event / customer relationship management system and a publications database with the website.
Additional accountabilities for appointment at the senior level:
- Responding immediately to any problems that arise, liaising with in-house and contract technical support;
- Taking the technical lead in extending the website to offer enhanced functionality, through integration with bespoke online systems and web2.0 applications, and ensure that information is accessible to the maximum number of readers;
- Working with the web and information manager to develop and implement upgrading the current CMS to the latest version, taking the lead on defining the technical requirements and solutions for the upgrade.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Appropriate first degree or equivalent qualification / experience;
- Good understanding of Web technologies and components;
- Extensive knowledge of (X)HTML, CSS and XML;
- Knowledge of programming languages including C# and Java;
- Server scripting languages such as JSP, PHP or ASP;
- Experience of working with databases (Sql server and Oracle);
- A proactive approach;
- Ability to work as part of a team;
- Self motivated and able to prioritise workload / tasks;
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
- Ability to train non-technical staff, working closely with the communications team;
- Good communication skills (written & spoken), able to communicate with staff at all levels;
- Ability to act on own initiative to solve problems;
- Ability to work with a wide range of people with varying technical expertise;
- Ability to appreciate the variety of IT systems in the organisation.
Additional requirements, essential for appointment at the senior level:
- Capable of extending the website to offer enhanced functionality with thorough knowledge of web application development;
- Excellent understanding of Web technologies and components;
- Detailed knowledge of programming languages including C# and Java;
- Experience of managing a project from inception to completion;
- Experience of working in an Integrated Development Environment such as ECLIPSE.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Experience of working in an Integrated Development Environment such as ECLIPSE;
- Some experience of Flash.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org