PDRA Beamline I22
|Job Title||Post Doctoral Research Associate, Beamline I22|
|Salary information||£28,409 - £39,050; starting salary, dependent on assessment of previous relevant experience and qualifications|
|Date of interviews||30/11/2010|
Diamond Light Source is a new synchrotron and a leading scientific facility of its type in the world. Located on the Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in South Oxfordshire, we will host facilities supporting cutting edge research in all fields of science.
We are looking to recruit a Post Doctoral Research Associate, the position will be based on the Non Crystalline Diffraction beamline, I22, which began user operations in 2007.
You should have a strong interest in the use of SAXS and/or GISAXS for studies of contemporary topics in Materials Science and will work closely with the Principal Beamline Scientist on several projects, mainly based on beamline I22, including the application of GISAXS developments to a range of materials problems. The position will also involve development of the facility in areas that are relevant to the in-house research themes, requiring skills in instrumentation, mathematics and computing.
Beamline I22 (Non Crystalline Diffraction) is a high-flux SAXS/WAXS facility that is optimised for both biological and materials science. The beamline uses an in-vacuum undulator to generate X-rays in the range of 3.7-20 keV, and delivers a high photon flux into a focused 75 x 300 mm spot. It is equipped with a highly flexible end station and sample platform, capable of carrying the wide variety of science applications seen on I22. The beamline performs SAXS, SAXS/WAXS, ASAXS, GISAXS and microfocus applications supported by a wide range of x-ray detector systems.
Working with the I22 beamline team in the following areas:
- Carrying out experiments, analysing data and publication of results;
- Keeping up with latest results and research directions internationally;
- Developing experimental and data analysis techniques and implementing them on the beamline;
- Jython scripting for data acquisition;
- Occasional support of the research projects of the users, who will come from a diverse scientific background.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Appropriate first degree;
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills;
- Good organisational and planning skills;
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team;
- Self motivation;
- Able to propose new directions for research;
- Experience of Non Crystalline Diffraction/SAXS-WAXS;
- Experience or knowledge in synchrotron instrumentation;
- Experience or knowledge of scientific data analysis and programming/scripting;
- Interest and experience in a relevant area of materials science.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Must be available to travel occasionally within the UK and abroad, including overnight absences;
- Experience of a relevant exploitable scientific area.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com