Head of Communications (Maternity Cover)
|Job Title||Head of Communications (Maternity Cover)|
|Salary information||Circa £45K|
|Date of interviews||14/06/2010|
Diamond Light Source is a new synchrotron and a leading scientific facility of its type in the world. Located on the Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in South Oxfordshire, we host facilities supporting cutting edge research in all fields of science.
We are seeking a maternity cover for the post of Head of Communications. Reporting directly to the CEO, you will require strong relationship management skills, an ability to quickly grasp issues in a complex and diverse scientific environment and the flexibility to work outside standard working hours as necessary. You should have a passion for science and its accurate dissemination as well as strong leadership skills and will be expected to take the lead of the delivery of our communication strategy and planned activities. As part of the role you will be expected to oversee all web related activities, large events and conferences, high profile visits, the portfolio of media relations, whilst ensuring the executive Directors are kept abreast of progress and achievements. You will be an experienced science communicator with substantial experience at senior level either in-house or within an agency environment with excellent management skills.
As part of your responsibilities, you will be expected to supervise EU grant and collaborations; hence knowledge of another European language would be desirable.
For an informal discussion about the role please contact Isabelle Boscaro-Clarke, Head of Communications on 01235 778130 or e-mail email@example.com
To manage Diamond’s corporate communications, providing an effective and coordinated service and strategic advice; this includes providing appropriate guidance, audit and provision of associated services.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- To develop and deliver Diamond’s corporate communications and annual activity plans in line with agreed Company objectives;
- To manage the communications team, the communications budget, sub-contractors and resources as assigned;
- To formulate benchmarks for assessing the effectiveness of the implementation of the strategy and monitor performance against agreed benchmarks;
- To provide strategic advice on all aspects of corporate communications and management information both technical and non-technical;
- To manage the provision of information to internal and external stakeholders;
- To foster excellent relations with stakeholders including user relations at local, national and international levels;
- To manage the delivery of the communications portfolio and other promotional activities, e.g. media relations, brand management, publications, technical writing, web developments, site tours, presentations, press launches and other promotional activities within agreed timescales and budgets;
- To manage the Company’s profile and reputation among agreed audiences, through the appropriate communications tools i.e. press coverage, the websites and other media;
- To manage the delivery of large scale events/conferences (300+) in collaboration with scientists, engineers and support staff i.e. international conferences;
- To manage the support and provision of communications training for company employees participating in profile raising activities so that they can deliver the Company’s objectives through agreed corporate messages;
- To develop and maintain crisis communication management plans and contribute as required to the Company’s emergency responses, providing input and advice on communications issues;
- To undertake any other duties of a comparable nature consistent with the role as reasonably required;
- To maintain and develop the public engagement strategy for Diamond, specifically designing activities tailored to inspire the young, in the view to foster interest in science/engineering related careers;
- To lead and input into grant applications e.g. for fundraising, sponsorships, external funding to support outreach activities and when successful, ensure that the delivery is appropriately managed and resourced.
The normal hours of the role are based on 37 hours per week. In the proper fulfilment of the responsibilities of the role, on occasion, it may be necessary for the post holder to work additional hours involving early morning, evening and or weekend work. Compensating time off by agreement with the Chief Executive or nominee will be allowed.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Degree level or equivalent;
- Knowledge of UK and international media;
- Extremely good working knowledge of Microsoft office programmes;
- An understanding of, or background in a science environment;
- Substantial experience in a senior position;
- Proven success in the creation of marketing & media relations campaigns at national level;
- Proven experience of managing a team;
- Strong relationship management skills;
- The ability to act as a spokesperson for the Company in media interviews;
- Excellent oral & written communication skills;
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team;
- Excellent accuracy and attention to detail;
- Diplomacy and Vision;
- Ability to work effectively under pressure;
- Leadership skills.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Knowledge of UK Higher Education sector;
- Relevant experience in marketing or communications ideally in a science environment;
- Working knowledge of another European language.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org