Industrial Liaison Scientist - Small Angle X-Ray Scattering & Surface X-Ray Scattering
|Job Title||Industrial Liaison Scientist - Small Angle X-Ray Scattering and Surface X-Ray Scattering|
|Salary information||Circa £34k|
|Date of interviews||16/12/2009|
Diamond Light Source is a new synchrotron and a leading scientific facility of its type in the world. Located on the Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in South Oxfordshire, we host facilities supporting cutting edge research in all fields of science.
To provide a data collection and analysis service for industrial users of Small Angle X-ray Scattering and Grazing Incidence Diffraction.
Working with the Industrial Liaison Group and small angle scattering and surface science beamline teams to:
- develop a data collection and analysis service for industrial users of small angle X-ray scattering and surface x-ray scattering (including X-ray reflectivity);
- run the service taking responsibility for sample management, data collection and reporting to the customers;
- assist in the commissioning and optimization of relevant beamlines alongside other beamline scientists and support staff;
- assist in the operation of the beamlines for users including carrying out a user support role via the local contact system (specifically for industrial users);
- assist in the marketing of the service by making presentations at conferences, participating in company visits etc.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Appropriate first degree;
- Relevant PhD degree or equivalent qualification or demonstrable experience;
- Experience or knowledge of synchrotron radiation;
- Experience in using small angle X-ray scattering synchrotron beamlines;
- Experience in small angle X-ray scattering data collection and analysis;
- Experience with Windows/Linux/Unix.
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills;
- Ability to interact with staff and facility users at all levels;
- Ability to work flexibly with occasional weekend and out-of hours working;
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team;
- Must be able to travel occasionally within the UK and abroad, including overnight absences.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Experience in data collection and analysis for X-ray reflectivity and Grazing Incidence Diffraction.
- Experience of working in a commercial environment.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com