Post Doctoral Research Associate, Beamline I06
|Job Title||Post Doctoral Research Associate, Beamline I06|
|Salary information||£28,415- £39,058; starting salary, dependant on assessment of previous relevant experience and qualifications.|
|Date of interviews|
Diamond Light Source is a new synchrotron and a leading scientific facility of its type in the world. Located on the Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in South Oxfordshire, we host facilities supporting cutting edge research in all fields of science.
We have a vacancy for a PDRA to work within the Nanoscience team developing a research programme that exploits the qualities of the beamline for magnetism or highly correlated systems. You will be expected to develop a programme of research using polarised x-ray microscopy and spectroscopy. You will also be required to collaborate in user research projects, support the operation of the beamline, publish results in leading journals and attend international conferences.
Candidates should have an appropriate PhD degree or equivalent qualification and knowledge or experience of synchrotrons. PEEM research experience or knowledge of electron optics is preferred.
Work in the I06 team in the following areas:
- To develop a research programme in an area which exploits the leading qualities of the beamline in the area of magnetism or highly correlated systems. Ideally this should be in the area of domain wall motion using the PEEM;
- To collaborate in in-house and user research projects;
- Support the operation of the beamline and interact closely with the users during beamtime;
- To upgrade and develop the beamline, maintaining it as a world class user facility;
- To publish work performed on the beamline in leading international journals and attend international conferences.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Appropriate PhD degree or equivalent qualification;
- Experience or knowledge of synchrotrons;
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills;
- Ability to interact effectively with staff at all levels;
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team;
- Self motivated;
- Must be available to travel occasionally within the UK and abroad, including overnight absences.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Relevant PEEM research experience;
- Experience or knowledge of electron optics;
- Experience with Windows/Linux/Unix;
- Research background in magnetism, highly correlated systems, photoemission spectroscopy;
- Experience with surface preparation, thin film deposition and surface science;
- Experience with electron spectroscopy and electron optics;
- Experience of polarised soft x-ray beamlines;
- Experience of beamline instrumentation;
- Experience of image analysis using IDL, Image Pro or similar packages;
- Experience with Scanning Tunneling Microscopy;
- Experience with lasers;
- Knowledge of beamline controls systems and soft x-ray.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com