Post Doctoral Research Associate, I18
|Job Title||Post Doctoral Research Associate, I18|
|Post Type||Full time, 3 year fixed term|
|Salary information||£32,805 to £38,593 (Discretionary range to £44,382)|
I18 is a microfocus spectroscopy beamline, producing a micron scale X-ray beam over the energy range 2.05 to 20.6 keV. It performs 2 and 3 D imaging using X-ray fluorescence, X-ray absorption spectroscopy and X-ray diffraction techniques. It has recently developed novel set-ups for operando catalysis studies e.g.DOI:10.1126/sciadv.1602838.
To lead in the development of new sample environments for using microfluidics to look at particle formation kinetics and reactions; maintaining and improving existing sample environments for operando catalysis; assisting in the operation of the beamline; keeping abreast of new experimental trends; conduct own research related to particle formation and catalysis.
Working with the I18 beamline team in the following areas:
- Development of new microfluidic sample environments for microfocus X-ray studies of kinetics;
- Maintaining and improving existing sample environments;
- Assisting in the operation of the beamline;
- Pursuit of a research programme on the study of related to particle formation and catalysis, including the analysis and publication of the results;
- Keeping up with latest results and research directions internationally;
- Assist the beamline staff in maintaining and running the beamline peripheral laboratories;
- Occasional support of the research projects of users, (analysis, experimental set-up etc.) who will come from a diverse scientific background. (This will include occasional duties as local contact for users).
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Appropriate First Degree;
- Appropriate PhD degree in Physics, Chemistry or Chemical Engineering, or equivalent qualification;
- Experience or knowledge of synchrotron X-ray absorption spectroscopy;
- Experience with Windows/Linux/Unix;
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills;
- Ability to interact effectively with staff at all levels;
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team ;
- Must be available to travel occasionally within the UK and abroad, including overnight absences.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Hands-on experience of using or developing apparatus for in-situ experiments;
- Experience of X-ray diffraction experiments and analysis;
- Experience of microfocus X-ray techniques;
- Experience with XAS analysis;
- Experience in Python, Jython, Java or C++.
- Must be available to travel occasionally within the UK and abroad, including overnight absences
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org