|Job Title||Mechanical Technician|
|Post Type||Permanent / Full time|
|Salary information||£25,499 to £29,999 (Discretionary range to £34,499)|
The Insertion Devices group builds state-of-the-art permanent magnet assemblies for Diamond, which are used in many of our beamlines in order to produce intense light.
We are now seeking a Mechanical Technician to contribute to the assembly, commissioning, installation and maintenance of these insertion devices.
- To assemble all aspects of insertion devices (ID’s) including permanent magnet, precision mechanical, UHV and cryogenic assemblies;
- To assist in the installation and commissioning of ID’s;
- To carry out inspection of manufactured items to drawings;
- To assist in the maintenance and upgrading of existing ID’s;
- To carry out machining to drawings, design jigs and fixtures and manufacture where necessary;
- To carry out general laboratory/workshop work as required;
- To assist with procurement by liaising with suppliers and placing orders.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Apprentice training to ONC or GNVQ level 2 (applicants with equivalent work experience will also be considered);
- Ability to understand and interpret mechanical drawings;
- Ability to machine to drawings;
- Ability to carry out a variety of light mechanical and electrical assembly tasks, including soldering;
- Able to produce simple engineering drawings/sketches;
- Significant relevant work experience;
- Proven technical experience.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Ability to interact with people at all levels;
- Good IT skills - standard MS Office software;
- Good planning and organising skills;
- Good communication skills, verbal and written;
- Experience in at least one of the following areas: cryogenics, permanent magnets, high pressures, ultra high vacuum would be useful;
- Familiarity with quality assurance procedures, work planning and safe systems of work.
- Candidates must be available to work flexibly during commissioning and later operations when there will be periods of intense activity to meet deadlines;
- Some travel may be required, usually within the UK and with occasional overnight stays.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com