Senior Research Scientist (MPL Co-ordinator)
|Job Title||Senior Research Scientist (MPL Co-ordinator)|
|Post Type||Full time / 4.5 year Fixed Term Contract|
|Salary information||£42,297 to £49,761 (Discretionary range to £57,225)|
|Date of interviews|
We are seeking a senior scientist to lead the Membrane Protein Laboratory (MPL) within the Research Complex at Harwell by Diamond Light Source research groups.
Structural biology of membrane proteins (bacterial and human) is the core of the work carried out exploiting diffraction, solution scattering, X-ray imaging and presently single particle cryo-electron microscopy and cryo-electron tomography.
As the MPL Coordinator you will manage day to day operations in the lab, liaising with external users and with Industry. You will be expected to develop your own individual research program and be supported to secure funding. Working closely with Jim Naismith, the PI, you will set strategic priorities for the MPL. You will be expected to work in the laboratory.
You should have a strong background in protein purification and expression of recombinant proteins with cloning experience being essential. Particularly desirable is experience in eukaryotic expression systems. Experience in Macromolecular Crystallography (MX) or Electron Microscopy (EM) is desirable
You will be able to lead a small team, be well organized and able to plan your time efficiently and effectively. You should be familiar with good laboratory practices and safety procedures and requirements and have the ability to communicate and collaborate in a team environment.
If you are interested in this role, and have the skills and experience we are looking for, please apply online. You are also welcome to contact us for more details. The full job description can be found below.
Duties / responsibilities
To support, manage and assist in the direction of the membrane protein laboratory (MPL). Work closely with academic and industrial users. Carry out or lead on a designated research project:
- Initiate, manage and execute research projects through engaging with research groups in and outside the Harwell campus, particularly recombinant membrane protein production for crystallography, solution scattering and electron microscopy research projects;
- Manage other members of the MPL team, prepare reports for the Wellcome Trust and organise the user program;
- Lead the publication of scientific results in international peer-reviewed journals;
- Keep up with latest results and research directions internationally, especially in respect of membrane proteins;
- Contribute to general running of the laboratory and upkeep and operation of equipment;
- Ensure the laboratory is well-stocked and resourced;
- Follow and ensure safety procedures and safety checks are maintained;
- Work at a strategic level to ensure cooperation with other groups on site;
- Initiate, sustain and manage links to Industry;
- Oversee the website for the MPL.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Appropriate Biochemistry/Biology Degree qualification or relevant direct experience in a working structural biology laboratory;
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills;
- Strong organisational skills and methodical record keeping;
- Ability to design, plan, organise, and implement projects and tasks within an allotted timeframe;
- Ability to work as a team work collaboratively with others;
- Ability to interact effectively and diplomatically with lab users at all levels;
- Leadership potential;
- Strong experience in large scale overproduction and purification of membrane proteins;
- Experience in managing laboratory general infrastructure and processes;
- Experience with computing;
- Experience in molecular biology – cloning and site directed mutagenesis;
- Experience in crystallization of macromolecules;
- Experience in preparing risk assessments for biological safety and general laboratory practices.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Experience in macromolecular crystallography or EM;
- Leadership of a small team.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org