Motion Systems Engineer
|Job Title||Motion Systems Engineer|
|Post Type||Permanent / Full time|
|Salary information||£32,480 to £38,211 (Discretionary range to £43,943)|
|Date of interviews|
Diamond Light Source, one of the UK’s leading scientific facilities, carries out world class research. To support this research there are vacancies for a senior technician and an engineer to support motion control systems on photon beam lines.
Photon beamline and experimental stations have a large number of state-of-the-art precision motor drive stages, which are used to control the position of mechanical and optical components. These roles are responsible for supporting the design, implementation and maintenance of overall motion systems and their components.
This role will see you carrying out aspects of commissioning of motion control systems, testing, fault-finding and calibration of modules; keeping records of module history; and managing the provision of spares. In the wider sense, you’ll work with Engineers and Scientists in order to establish performance requirements and support the commissioning of systems.
You will be educated Degree level in electrical/electronic engineering and should have experience with motion technology and control theory. You should also be familiar with commissioning and fault finding electrical/electronic systems and modules. Knowledge of communication protocols and programmable logic controllers is also desirable.
You’ll be naturally self-motivated, with a hands-on approach to problem-solving; while being able to develop and follow written procedures in order to comply with operational requirements. Teamwork is key, so you’ll also bring a proven ability to instruct and supervise others – including contractors.
- Provide operational support to the installed base of motion systems, in responding to operational faults and requests for development.
- Work closely with beamline project teams and beamline staff on defining the requirements and the specification of new motion systems.
- Provide advice and support to electrical and mechanical designers and project engineers on the specification of new motion systems.
- Undertake the commission of new motion control systems include; verification of signals, tuning of control loops, and validation of logic for sequencing and hardware protection.
- Undertake the characterisation and measurement of motion control systems, to establish the specified performance.
- Design and implementing logic in motion controllers or PLCs to ensure the correct operation of motion systems.
- Development of kinematic transforms (Mathematical mappings from one coordinate system into another) for motion systems;
- Participate in the planning and preparation of projects involving motion systems;
- Provide support of contractors and suppliers of equipment with motion systems as technical advice and in the undertaking acceptance tests;
- Contribute to the processes and associated development to support the design of motion systems throughout Diamond;
- Provide documentation on work undertaken and reports on progress on a periodic basis;
- Maintain and develop technical expertise in motion systems;
- Interfacing to internal customers including Engineers and Scientists in Diamond.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Degree level qualification in Mechatronics, Electrical or Electronic Engineering or related discipline;
- Demonstrate ability to communicate effectively, both orally and written;
- Ability to solve technical problems, evaluating alternative courses of action and innovating where necessary;
- Demonstrate self-motivation and a willingness to take responsibility;
- Demonstrate ability to work as part of a team;
- Demonstrate ability to work effectively alone and without direct supervision;
- Some experience working at either a similar level, or graduate level. Experience in relevant role with industrial or scientific control systems;
- Experience with Stepper, Servo drives and encoders;
- Experience of commissioning and fault finding electronic systems;
- Experience in testing, fault finding and calibration of electronic modules;
- Knowledge of communication protocols, such as RS232/422/485 and experience in fault finding;
- Experience in managing outside contracts;
- An understanding of logic, PLC operation and programming.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Demonstrate an understanding of staff supervision;
- Demonstrate an understanding of project planning and management;
- Function and configuration of PID control loops;
- An appreciation of the parameters affecting choice and operation of different drives;
- An understanding of basis kinematic transforms.
- Be willing to work overtime at unsociable hours as required;
- Be willing to travel in the UK and abroad, including occasional periods away from home;
- Be prepared to undertake further training;
- Ability to work in restricted or confined spaces.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com