Laboratory Services Assistant
|Job Title||Laboratory Services Assistant|
|Post Type||Full time / permanent|
|Salary information||£15,362 to £18,073 (Discretionary range to £20,784)|
|Date of interviews|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located on the Harwell Science & Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire a 20 minute drive south of Oxford in a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, Diamond Light Source conducts world-class research in virtually all fields of science and offers rewarding career opportunities covering both technical and scientific disciplines.
We are seeking to recruit a Laboratory Services Assistant. The main duties will be to provide day-to-day support to the Experimental Hall Team. You will be expected to perform administration and other office duties, maintain the core Diamond facilities and carry out a range of manual handling tasks. In addition, you will undertake the supply of the centralised chemicals.
Successful candidates will ideally have previous experience in a laboratory. You should be highly motivated and able to work under your own initiative. Good communication skills and experience of working in a multi-discipline environment with scientists are essential. There is a strong emphasis on Health and Safety so familiarity of risk assessments and legislation would be desirable but not essential.
- To provide general support for the Experimental Hall Group and Diamond Laboratories;
- Provide administration and other office duties to support the Experimental Hall Group;
- Undertake routine activities for the running and maintenance of the core facilities within Diamond including operation of the autoclaves, collecting and sorting the laundry, measurement of the flow rates in the LEV systems, maintaining records where required;
- Ensure compliance with Diamonds Legionella control policy by conducting weekly tap flushing throughout the Diamond laboratories and beamlines;
- Undertake the supply of the centralised chemicals within the Diamond laboratories;
- Carry out a range of manual handling duties;
- Undertake other duties of a similar nature including working flexibly with other employees as required;
- Adhere to all relevant company and statutory H&S requirements and to undertake training as required.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Experience of working in a multi-disciplinary environment, with visitors and scientists - applicants with relevant work experience will be considered;
- Ability to interact with people at all levels;
- A valid UK driving license will be required for this role;
- Ability to work on own initiative;
- Good planning and organising skills;
- Good communication skills.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Good IT skills – standard MS Office software;
- Ability to carry out a range of tasks in chemical & biological laboratories;
- Relevant experience in working in a laboratory environment;
- Experience in handling and moving equipment;
- Familiarity of risk assessments and COSHH.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org