Electrical Design Engineer / Electrical Designer
|Job Title||Electrical Design Engineer / Electrical Designer|
|Post Type||Full time / Permanent|
|Salary information||Engineer: £32,480 to £38,211 (Discretionary range to £43,943) Designer: £25,247 to £29,702 (Discretionary range to £34,157)|
|Date of interviews|
Diamond Light Source is a world class science institute providing X-ray beams of exceptional brightness for use by scientists to probe the atomic building blocks of physical and biological matter. The Engineering Group plays a key role in the design and construction of the electron accelerators and the beamlines that transport the light from the electron accelerator to the scientific sample. The accelerators comprise normal and super-conducting magnets and Radio Frequency cavities to energise the electron beam. The beamlines are made up of optical elements and sample environments that employ sub-micron, multi-axis, precision motion systems operating in Ultra High Vacuum environments and often at cryogenic temperatures.
We are seeking highly motivated Electrical Design Engineers and Designers to join the group to work on the detailed design of solutions to meet the scientific challenges we face, and enjoy interaction with leading scientists, supplier companies and technical teams building the equipment.
With an honours degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline and suitable experience, your excellent technical skills will be complemented by your teamwork and ability to communicate effectively at all levels.
To deliver world class science for the UK we need engineering solutions to match so if you feel you have the imagination to think outside the box taking a view of the whole system, coupled with expertise in the areas mentioned above, this vacancy will be of interest to you.
Whilst the requirements described below are for the Electrical Design Engineer level, if you are a talented early career graduate with not as much directly relevant knowledge and experience you are invited to apply for the Electrical Designer positions. The emphasis is on having an excellent grasp of engineering principles and an interest in systems!
- Work closely with internal & external scientific and engineering staff to produce electrical designs for projects including, motion control for optical systems, vacuum control systems for vessels & beam tubes, safety interlock systems for personnel protection and interface with electrical facilities and power distribution.
- Develop and apply expertise in technologies such as Programmable Logic Controllers, sensors, actuators and encoders;
- Use of Computer Aided Design software package AutoCAD;
- Procurement of equipment through commercial suppliers;
- Supervision of internal and contract design staff and control of quality;
- Contribute to hazard analysis and risk assessment exercises;
- Maintain and update engineering drawings and documentation on projects;
- Work within DLS procedures and contribute to their development.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Honours degree or equivalent in relevant discipline;
- Good background in electrical engineering;
- Ability to provide ideas and creative solutions to design problems;
- Good working knowledge of an Electrical CAD system with significant experience;
- Demonstrate ability and initiative to get to the heart of a problem and take it efficiently through to completion;
- Demonstrate good oral and written communication skills with peers, subordinates, customers and suppliers;
- Ability to work in a team;
- Excellent working knowledge of engineering drawings and working to specifications for controls and electrical designs;
- Practical experience in the design of rack based control panels and producing layout drawings, P& ID, block diagrams and hook-ups;
- Must be available to travel on work related business with some overnight stays occasionally.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- IET accredited Masters Degree or equivalent in relevant discipline;
- Engineering Council registration and membership of relevant professional body;
- Good working knowledge of AutoCAD;
- Experience of electrical calculations packages;
- Experience of supervising design office work;
- Experience of working within a QA system;
- Good appreciation of project management;
- Experience of overseeing manufacture, assembly, testing and commissioning of systems;
- Knowledge of developments in the field;
- Competence in two or more of the following; Motion control, safety interlock systems, experimental equipment, PLCs, sensors, actuators, encoders, vacuum technology, electrical installations and power distribution;
- Competence in Microsoft office suite;
- Driving Licence.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org