Software Engineer, Web Applications
|Job Title||Software Engineer, Web Applications|
|Post Type||Full time / Permanent|
|Salary information||Competitive + Benefits|
|Date of interviews|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility conducting world-class research in virtually all fields of science.
The job offers flexible and family friendly working conditions in a relaxed and friendly environment located on the Harwell Science & Innovation Campus, a 20 minute drive south of Oxford, in a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
The User Administration System team is small with opportunities to learn lots of new skills and make significant contributions while gaining all the benefits of working for a larger organisation. In the wider organisation there is an extensive range of other software engineering with which everyone is encouraged to engage.
- Consult with system users and analyse their requirements, and make suggestions for improvements to the system.
- Design, code and test enterprise software to meet supplied specifications.
- Support live systems, investigating and resolving straightforward incidents, interacting with staff and external users.
- Resolve reported faults in the system, and communicate with testers.
- Document all work, including instructions on how to build and deploy software.
- Peer review other team members’ work.
- Produce and maintain documentation describing system operation for its users, and advise them in system use.
- Develop and maintain expertise in software development tools and techniques, and advise team how they might be used.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Java development experience;
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentation skills;
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Ability to interact effectively with staff at all levels to collect feedback and isolate new requirements;
- Work in a team environment to established operational principles such as “Agile”;
- Experience of web technologies such as GWT, Spring and Hibernate;
- Knowledge of code development platforms such as Eclipse and/or Netbeans;
- Experience of interaction with databases;
- Experience of full cycle application development including unit testing, code repositories and deployment;
- Experience of UNIX-like and Windows operating systems.
Because of the changing nature of our business your job description will inevitably change. You will, from time to time, be required to undertake other activities of a similar nature that fall within your capabilities as directed by management.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com