Mechanical Design Engineer / Mechanical Designer
|Job Title||Mechanical Design Engineer / Mechanical Designer|
|Post Type||Full time / Permanent|
|Salary information||Engineer: £32,480 to £38,211 (Discretionary range to £43,943) Designer: £25,247 to £29,702 (Discretionary range to £34,157)|
|Date of interviews|
Diamond Light Source is a world class science institute providing X-Ray beams of exceptional brightness for use by scientists to probe the atomic building blocks of physical and biological matter.
The Engineering Group plays a key role in the design and construction of the electron accelerators and the beamlines that transport the light from the electron accelerator to the scientific sample. The accelerators comprise normal and super-conducting magnets and Radio Frequency cavities to energise the electron beam. The beamlines are made up of optical elements and sample environments that employ sub-micron, multi-axis, precision motion systems operating in Ultra High Vacuum environments and often at cryogenic temperatures.
We are seeking highly motivated Mechanical Design Engineers or Designers to join the group to work on the detailed design of solutions to meet the scientific challenges we face, and enjoy interaction with leading scientists, supplier companies and technical teams building the equipment.
With an honours degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline and suitable experience, your excellent technical skills will be complemented by your teamwork and ability to communicate effectively at all levels.
To deliver world class science for the UK we need engineering solutions to match so if you feel you have the imagination to think outside the box taking a view of the whole system, coupled with expertise in the areas mentioned above, this vacancy will be of interest to you.
Whilst the requirements described below are for the Mechanical Design Engineer level, talented candidates with not as much directly relevant knowledge and experience are invited to apply for the Mechanical Designer positions.
- Work closely with internal and external scientific and engineering staff to produce mechanical designs for projects;
- Develop and apply expertise in technologies including Ultra High Vacuum systems, stable support structures, precision mechanisms, cryogenics and the general design of scientific equipment and plant;
- Produce layouts, assembly drawings and detailed manufacturing drawings employing AutoCAD and Pro-Engineer software;
- Procurement of equipment through commercial suppliers;
- Contribute to hazard analysis and risk assessment exercises;
- Maintain and update engineering drawings and documentation on projects;
- Work within DLS procedures and contribute to their development;
- Carry out calculations and FEA as competence and supervision allow;
- Supervision of internal and contract design staff and control of quality.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Honours degree in Mechanical Engineering / Mechatronics or equivalent in relevant discipline;
- Good background in mechanical engineering;
- Ability to provide ideas and creative solutions
- Advanced level knowledge of a 3D CAD system with significant hands on experience;
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of a problem and take it efficiently through to completion;
- Demonstrate good oral and written communication skills with peers, customers and suppliers;
- Ability to work in a team;
- Excellent working knowledge of engineering drawings;
- Design experience of materials selection, joining and manufacturing techniques;
- Must be available to travel on work related business with some overnight stays occasionally.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- IMechE accredited Masters degree;
- Engineering Council registration and membership of relevant professional body;
- Working knowledge of CREO/Pro-E and PDM-Link;
- Experience in using ANSYS or other FEA package;
- Experience in Ultra High Vacuum (UHV) technology;
- Experience in micron precision mechanism design;
- Experience with motion control systems;
- Experience of cryogenic engineering;
- Experience of overseeing manufacture, assembly, testing and commissioning of systems;
- Experience of working within a QA system;
- Good appreciation of project management;
- Good working knowledge of AutoCAD 2D;
- Competent in Microsoft office suite;
- Driving Licence.
Interviews are planned to take place week commencing 9th January 2017.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com